Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical Problem - car won't start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nessy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

Hi all! I bought a 92 730 SEI Auto last night and at first everything seemed ok. After a couple of hours drivng around though, the ABS and handbrake warning light came on and the stereo died. I drove home but after switching off the engine found it would not restart. I have my suspicion that, rather strangely, it may be related to the gearbox. When the stereo had died and the warning lights were on, I'd stopped at traffic lights, put it into 'park', and on doing so the warning lights went out and the stereo came on again. Anyone any ideas? Is there a code I should use to start the engine???
Nessy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

Update! The car started first turn of the key this morning. Might be a problem shared by another poster - car does not start when warm. Looks like I'll have to spend some cash at a BWM main dealer to have the diagnostics checked/repaired.
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

Might be a weak battery, perhaps caused by a weak dynamo.

Check the battery voltage via this table:

Battery State of Charge
Battery idle for several hours

Charge,% Specific Gravity Voltage

100 1.265-1.280 12.66-12.75
75 1.225-1.240 12.45-12.51
50 1.190-1.200 12.25-12.27
25 1.145-1.160 12.03-12.05
0 1.100-1.120 11.79-11.90

Check the alt output at the battery terminals, should be about 14 V.
Nessy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

Thanks Edjack. My brother in law (a Mechanic) has the same thoughts as you. Thanks for your help - really appreciate it.
blazedem41

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

It's is the battery i had the same problem they tested the battery and said it was good but i was persistant and the store finally gave in and gave me the battery never had any problems after that
Nessy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Electrical Problem - car won't start. Reply with quote

Problem solved - slipping drivebelt stopping the alternator/dynamo from charging. Thanks to all who helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: