Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'90 735i final drive noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazymanwally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: '90 735i final drive noise Reply with quote

My 735i developed a new distinct clicking/clanking noise upon acceleration. It is coming from the rear passenger side axle. When I grabbed the axle shaft between the two rubber boots it could be moved about an inch either way (in and out of boots). I'm assuming that this is bad because when it moved, it made the same noise I'm hearing. Is there a step by step procedure described anywhere that I could download to follow and replace the faulty parts myself? I've since got the 325e out of storage to drive instead of getting stranded somewhere with no drive axle. At least this helps when I try to convince my wife that I "need" both BMW's and the 911. You never know when you might need them to drive while repairing the other. Thanks for any insight! --Paul.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: '90 735i final drive noise Reply with quote

You'll need to replace the half-shaft. Sounds very bad, since you can actually move the axle axially. Don't drive the car until you fix this!
crazymanwally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: '90 735i final drive noise Reply with quote

Replaced the axle shaft with the 2 cv joints tonight. Pretty straight forward procedure and noise is gone. Thanks! -Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: