Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

central lock system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
7bmw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: central lock system Reply with quote

Hi
> Need help !
> I have a 735il 1990
>
> Where is the central locking relay or computer or control unit -and
what does it look like?
>
> My doors do not close -the key does not activate any of the locks -the
car stays open all the time -the doors vertical knobs do not move up or down
Is any fuse related to this function?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
mwong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: central lock system Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the E32 door lock relay locations. Someone with a Bentley manual maybe can help out? I know the E30 has the lock module down by the driver's kick panel below the speaker, but I am not sure if the E32 is the same.

I do have a couple questions... Doors don't close? Or they physically close but not lock?

Do check all fuses first.

Key does not work? How about in the trunk? Does this car come with a remote locking feature on the key? (Sorry, I really don't know the E32...)

Door stems do not go down, like they are stuck? Or they pop down and pop back up?

Did you have a battery problem any time in the recent past, or do you have one now? Some have suggested disconnecting the battery to try to reset things.

Is there a light on or chime like the car doesn't think the doors are closed, even when they are secure?

There is a procedure for re-synchronizing the locks.
Close all doors and trunk.
Lock the passenger door by turning the key clockwise into the syncronize locking position, approximately 110 degrees. Do the same for the driver's door. (On the E30 you do this from the trunk. I don't know if the E32 trunk needs to be done as well?)

It can get out of synch if a door which is not completely closed and is locked, or a door handle is lifted before the interior lock button is raised.

Someone posted these diagrams for the E32. Do they look right?

Just a few thoughts to help narrow things down.

[ 10-11-2003: Message edited by: M.Wong ]
7bmw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: central lock system Reply with quote

Doors don't close? Or they physically close but not lock?

Yes all doors close they just dont lock

Do check all fuses first.
ALL fuses are OK

Key is really not used to open doors since they dont lock anyway. The trunk is the only lock that can be locked with the key.

Door stems do not go down, like they are stuck? Or they pop down and pop back up?

Doors (4) stems stay in the unlocked position (up). They do not pop up or down. It like they are stuck.

Did you have a battery problem any time in the recent past, or do you have one now? Some have suggested disconnecting the battery to try to reset things.

The car was jumped started several times before I bought it. I'll disconnet the battery today to see what happens

Is there a light on or chime like the car doesn't think the doors are closed, even when they are secure?

NO

There is a procedure for re-synchronizing the locks.
Close all doors and trunk.
Lock the passenger door by turning the key clockwise into the syncronize locking position, approximately 110 degrees. Do the same for the driver's door. (On the E30 you do this from the trunk. I don't know if the E32 trunk needs to be done as well?)

It's done in the trunk but I've tried it does not have any effect

It can get out of synch if a door which is not completely closed and is locked, or a door handle is lifted before the interior lock button is raised.

Someone posted these diagrams for the E32. Do they look right?

Look good

I will take door panels out today just to check on the lock switchs.

I appreciate your help!
mwong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: central lock system Reply with quote

I understand that on the E32, the ZKE (Zentral Locking System) is controlled by:

1. The General Module (Under LH side of rear seat, in rear power distribution box)
2. Relay Module (same place as #1)

#1 is the longest modue
#2 is smaller and may be labeled (xxx 741)

You might check the connections and clean the contacts. Also check the wire harness areas in the doors for breaks or corrosion.

Have you tried removing the drivers interior door panel and checking to see if the support rod for the door lock actuator is in one piece? One guy said his support rod for the actuator was cracked and that allowed the actuator to become misaligned. He used epoxy and a piece of metal in the support rod channel, across the crack, to realign and splint the support rod. After this his locks functioned correctly.

Here was another person's idea: "It sounds like the battery went dead and someone used the manual overide to unlock the doors, by lifting up on the passenger side door handle while turning the key at the same time. In order to get the locks working again, you must get the door lock out of manual overide mode by lifting up on the door handle and then trying to lock the car. It sometimes takes a fair amount of force on the key to get this to happen, and you must hold the door shut while trying to do this. There is a section in the owners manual on the procedure.

On early cars ('88, 89), both front door locks had this feature, but supposedly in 1990, only the passenger door lock has this feature. The owners manual for my 1990 750il has an additional page stuck into the back of the manual attesting to this fact"

[ 10-13-2003: Message edited by: M.Wong ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: