Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

service indicator lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSager007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: service indicator lights Reply with quote

Anybody know how to reset the service indicator lights on a 1987 735i? Thanks
getrag dag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: service indicator lights Reply with quote

YOu can buy a service reset tool, or Use a piece of wire to short 2 pin sockets together in the Service indicator Socket under the bonnet to reset your service lights in the instrument cluster.

I think from last time i did it, it was pin-1 to pin 9 or 7.

You have to connect those pins and turn the ignition to the on postion for 30seconds, then switch it off, remove the wire and it should be reset.

Its been a while since i done it so you should make sure those pin outs are correct that i gave you........ the procedure might be a little wrong too....i cant rember if its hold the ignition on for 30 seconds or not, Not to worry Heres a direct link to solve the problem on this site:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html
mwong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: service indicator lights Reply with quote

Double check the pin numbers for your car. I have had no problems doing the reset on both my 1987 E30 and my E38:

With the ignition off, put a wire between pins 7 and 19.

Turn the ignition to position 2, "run." (Do not start the engine.)

After just a couple seconds, remove the jumper wire.

(If you wait eight to ten seconds, it will do an Inspection reset.)

On my E30 the lights reset without removing the wire, but on the E38 the wire has to come out.

Good luck! I have some E38 oil change/service light photos here: http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=206524&page=5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: