Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'96--'98 740I problem areas??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rld777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

Hello--I am considering adding a '96--'98 740i to our household within the next year. I would like to know what the main problem areas are with these cars--Note that I am avoiding the Niklisi block '95's altogether. How much also are these cars to service compared to a 3-series? Is there a differance in life expectancy? Thanks, just sort of clueless on the 7's but really like them from a distance. Also like the fact that they depreciate (and become affordable.) Good day!
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

If my '97 540i is any indication, there are no major issues, especially with the engine. The only problem area there is the valve cover gasket: when it leaks it can fill up the spark plug well, and short out the coil (these engines have a coil-per-plug, and they are pricey!)

If you are comfortable wrenching on a 3-series, the 7 should be no problem.

You may also want to check in with Brett Anderson, at http://www.koalamotorsport.com/. He is apparently a professional BMW wrench, and has a pay-for-answers service. He may have some useful comments on the E38.
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

And the car is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous!

I drove a iL, much too big-car feeling. The i doesn't feel that big. Drive both sizes to see which you prefer, especially coming from a 3-series.
SINOKS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

I have a 1997 740i.
here's the problems i had: broken waterpunp at km 120K. and now right headlight has gone (expensive).
also known problem areas are brakes pads and disks (heavy car). And also on wheelbearings.
apart fromt hat it dirves wonderfull: quite, fast (limited at 250kmh) 0-100 7sec. and steers very crisp for a big car. my wife has 325 cabrio, which is more fun, but for any distance we tahe the 7.
mind you its expensive to run, if you have maintenance done by BMW garage.PArts are expensive too.
But on balance great to drive, lots of fun, lots of power.

quote:
Originally posted by rld777:
Hello--I am considering adding a '96--'98 740i to our household within the next year. I would like to know what the main problem areas are with these cars--Note that I am avoiding the Niklisi block '95's altogether. How much also are these cars to service compared to a 3-series? Is there a differance in life expectancy? Thanks, just sort of clueless on the 7's but really like them from a distance. Also like the fact that they depreciate (and become affordable.) Good day!

mwong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

Yes, avoid the 1995 V8. Then, the two most common E38 problems I have heard about...

Radiator necks breaking, I think only in models before 1998 or 1999. The old style used a standard hose clamp and the updated one used a tension ring to secure the hose to the radiator. The old style did not allow enough play for vibration and would become brittle and break.

Pixels in the dash display and heater display go out, and the repairs are expensive. Some have it happen under warranty, others later, and some never. Some have claimed that disassembly and cleaning of the instrument cluster connections to the matrix display has brought them back.

Other things that happen:

Catalytic converters failing before 80K mile warranty.

Cup holders failing. Expensive to repair, not very good even when they work unless you drink out of lightweight small containers!

Oil pump bolts backing out into pan.

Sunroof wind noise.

Open both rear windows at freeway speeds and you will break your ear drums with a wild frequency of 'whap whap' noise. Just crack open a front or sunroof and it goes away. It's wild the first time you try it though!

Phones not being upgradeable without major cost or modifications.

Don't get me wrong. I love my E38 and it is a wonderful car. These are just the more common things I have heard about.

Good luck!
mwong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

Information about some of the model years of the E38. 1995, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

(Can't find the pages for the 96,97,98)

http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/2001/2001_BMW_7_Series.html
http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/2000/2000_BMW_740i.html
http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/1999/1999_BMW_740i.html
http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/1995/1995_BMW_740i.html

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: mwong ]
donaldan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: '96--'98 740I problem areas?? Reply with quote

Just want to add my 2 cents worth regarding cell phone upgrade. Due to the constant change in the cell phone technology, analog, digital and combination, older cars may not be upgradable to newer systems. It is not just the question of upgrade cost but some are impossible to upgrade so be forewarned if built-in cell phone is a desired feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: