Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'88 735i - fuel starvation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
athompsonjax

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: '88 735i - fuel starvation Reply with quote

After recently filling up the fuel tank on my 1988 735i, it stalled out on me. Now, the only way it will start is by pumping the accelerator several times- it runs normally for a few seconds, and then it idles down lower and lower until it quits. Trying to accelerate at all kills the engine. Any ideas?

Also, is there more than one fuel filter to check? I have found references to a fuel filter "near the fuel pump" that requires wrenches (10 and 17mm) to remove. I know about the one connected to the fuel lines by regular hose clamps...

edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: '88 735i - fuel starvation Reply with quote

Did you top up the tank? You may have flooded the charcoal canister. You could try disconnecting it, and plugging the line to see if it will start and run OK.

There is a strainer in the tank, connected to the pump assembly, but I doubt that's the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: