Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy 525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. BILL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:17 pm    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

Howdy All!

I just purchased a '91 525 with 133K on it for my wife. It's in beautiful condition and is unusual because it has a cloth interior. It's not a gray market car, it was purchased in Germany by an Army officer several months before he returned to the States.

It has been meticulously cared for and has a Dinan chip. I think I'm going to put the OEM chip back in to improve fuel economy. My wife will be driving it and economy will be more inportant to her than added HP.

Any suggestions as to what to do or expect to keep it running good as new? I'v been a Mercedes nut and traded my wifes '85 300D for the 525 and I drive a '90 300SE. I got the BMW bug when I bought my 17 year old son an '80 518. What a sweet car that is!

I look forward to learnig as much as I can as I'm a big DIY.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:49 pm    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

Check these sites for more info on maintenance and care of the E34:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm

You may also want to check in with Brett Anderson, at http://www.koalamotorsport.com/. He has a pay-for-answers service.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

BTW, I would not expect that you'd see any significant improvement in mileage by removing the chip. Just keep your foot out of it.
Mr. BILL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:26 am    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

Do these cars require Premium?
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:26 am    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

Probably not, with the stock chip. With the performance chip, probably.

Try a tankful of regular to see if it pings under load (lug it at low RPM in a higher gear).
hawaiidan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:33 am    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

On the contrary! Your 525 needs premium gasoline 92 octane or higher. Any less and you're asking for it.

Congratulations on your new Bimmer!
Mr. BILL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:36 pm    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

OOPS! Had a pre-purchase done today before forking over the dough. Bad news, #4 cylinder is bad. Compression was lower by 60%.

Back to the drawing board.

[This message has been edited by Mr. BILL (edited 12-07-2001).]
Mr. BILL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:56 pm    Post subject: New Guy 525 Reply with quote

O.K. I went with the back up car. A '90 525i w/155K on it. It's fairly nice, but I enjoy taking a diamond in the rough and restoreing some of it's brilliance.

Everything works, body/paint is decent and the interior will clean up well. I'm going to replace the driver's seat cover and have the rest re-deyed.
The previous owner put a ton of work into it recently to give it to his daughter. She thought it was an "old man's car" and wanted a Jeep. Go figure.

Best of all, I got it for $4500. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about my new Bimmer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: