Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front outer ball joint worn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoodmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: front outer ball joint worn? Reply with quote

I just had a maryland inspection to title and register my son's 95 318i and everything passed except the front ball joints. mechanic said there was too much play. i read on the internet that the ball joint is unique as it has rubber around it, causing the frequent mis-diagnosis that they are bad. I raised the front end and yanked on the wheel and they seem tight. i also used a large screwdriver to pry on them and did get some movement, but it feels like tight rubber, not looseness or play. how do i properly check them and how do i convince the mechanic that they are good, assuming they are? no idea when or if they were ever replaced.
thanks!
Steve, 1995 BMW 318i 176,000 miles
gigel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: front outer ball joint worn? Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to contact the dealer and ask them. It might not sound like a good solution at first, but how do you convince a mechanic who already found a problem that he is wrong?
hoodmeister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: front outer ball joint worn? Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. my problem is that I must get a certificate of inspection to get the car titled and registered and I've already paid the mechanic the up front $75 inspection fee. now i must fix the problems he found to get the inspection certificate. if I go to a dealer, I'm starting over and the dealer will, no doubt, charge me more and find more things wrong. it's an ugly game in maryland, but at least it's just one time in one's ownership a a vehicle!!
horigan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: front outer ball joint worn? Reply with quote

The way I check ball joints is I lift the front of the car and use a pair of large channel lock pliers to vertically squeeze the end of the control arm up against the steering knuckle. You will see play here if the joint needs to be replaced. They only last 60K miles or so.

If worn, you may want to consider installing M3 control arms as they have a bigger ball joint that aren't incased in rubber.

Rich
cmcon98

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: front outer ball joint worn? Reply with quote

I agree. If they're worn, replace with either M3 control arms, or get regular E36 arms with all-metal ball joints (they're available). You'll need to replace the control arm bushings at the same time. Front end should be all set after that, assuming your tie rods and struts are good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: