Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e30 rear shock mounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reinell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:24 pm    Post subject: e30 rear shock mounts Reply with quote

I had recently taken in my 87 325ic to have the front struts done and they informed me
that there was a problem with my back shocks.
I had them replaced approx a year ealier. They said that the bottom mounts of the shocks had been drilled and bolted with a throu bolt and nut. The right side mount is now loose and has cracked. Besides the fact I'm on the hunt for a particular mechanic, I am also in the market for the
replacement of the shock mounts, which looks
like all one unit with the wheel. Can anyone
help me on locating both sides (hopefully used) so I can get these replaced. I would like to get an idea of the part cost also.

Thanks
Frustrated
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:06 pm    Post subject: e30 rear shock mounts Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the bottom of the rear shock is a u shaped bracket that holds a through bolt that attaches to the shock through a rubber bushing. If the lower bracket is cracked junk yard or dealer is probably your best choice. The E30 also has a rubber donut upper shock mount that should be replaced. It can be check/changed through the rubber inspection cover that are just behind the soft top hinge in the top boot. If I remember correctly, the shocks have to be off the car to change the top bushing, but it is a straight forward job. I think you need to find out which mounts they are talking about. Gather the correct parts. Job should take a couple of hours.
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 5:24 pm    Post subject: e30 rear shock mounts Reply with quote

Give the guys a Vines BMW a crak at this (www.vinesbmw.com) They run possible the largest BMW reclaim yard in the US.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: