Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

325iS cars in the snow (performance)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
9gturns

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 9:49 pm    Post subject: 325iS cars in the snow (performance) Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from the few 325iS owners that have had their cars in some real snow. I owned an 87 for four years and I didn't hesitate to drive in up to four inches of fresh powder. I was actually impressed even when the roads turned skyward. I'm a fan of rear drive over front drive in slick conditions anyway.
I now live in real snow country though and have a eighty mile a day comute that is costing me a fortune in gas to drive my 4x4. Was I just imagining that the rear drive car with the standard LS-Diff. was a compitant car for use in frequent snowfall or have others noted the same? I'd rather get another iS rather than an iX.
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:06 am    Post subject: 325iS cars in the snow (performance) Reply with quote

I have an 87 325ic. No problems running in the snow, packed roads or powder until the air dam starts acting like a plow. Find the traction is very predictable. Virginia doesn't get that much snow so I just run all season radials. I've heard performance is even better with actual snow tires. As a previous 4x4 owner, I love them too. Sold mine because I really didn't have a use for the 4 wheel drive any longer, If I lived in snow country, I would definitely have another. Tough about the gas mileage, maybe regearing your 4x would be a better idea, then you have the best of both worlds.
rduckwor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:07 pm    Post subject: 325iS cars in the snow (performance) Reply with quote

The iX is more expensive to maintain due the the fact that mny suspension/brake parts are "ix" only. Sway bar links for the front are $70 each. Lower control arms are >$200 each. That being said, I have two of them and wouldn't part with either. There is a lot to be said for all whhel drive all of the time viz. the Subaru WRX. Besides, it is a complete blast power drifting through deep snow while the SUV drivers sit and look and spin their wheels. I run all-season tires year round and have no problem with whatever nature throws our way.

Bob Duckworth
reinell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:00 pm    Post subject: 325iS cars in the snow (performance) Reply with quote

I have a 87 325ic and have no problem in the snow if I have weight in the truck. I took a
ski trip down to Toas New Mexico and took a trucking route a friend recommended. This trip was in 1996 when a big winter snow storm
came across the New Mexico and Texas pan handle, guess who was in the middle of it on a trucking route. I had not seen a car all night, and at the break of dawn I finally saw some head lights coming at me on this two lane road. Actually it was six head lights.
There were three huge plow trucks staggered
coming down the road at me. You should have seen the look on the lead truck drivers face.
I just waved and drove on. The snow accum at that time was about 8-10 inches and as I got closer to Springer it got deeper. Never had any trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: