Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!! Vert roof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitz

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Help!!! Vert roof Reply with quote

The worst possible thing that can happen to a convertible has happened to mine.... the roof won't go down Sad

It's a 1999 323i with a fully auto roof. The roof folds back, the back window bends up, but that's when it stops. The stowage cover does not come up. I pull the window beam forward as far as it goes as that occassionally doesn't come far enough forward, but it's not that which is the issue. I think it might be the micro sensor that tells the roof that the boot is shut, because with the roof at this half open stage, the boot will still open.

If this is the problem, I think the sensor is under the stowage lid on the driver side because when the roof does operate and the lid doesn't fit flush, it has just needed a slight push down on the driver side of the lid to get the boot to unloock.

So, does it sound like the sensor I describe, and to replace it, do I have to disengage the roof motor and lower it manually, then reengage the motor when the sensor is replaced? Is the sensor easy to change or am I going to need a garage to do this?

Or is it something else causing the problem? My only saving grace is the air con to keep me cool, but it's nothing like having the roof down Sad

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
walshja

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Fitz, how ya been?

are you experiencing the stretched strap issue that everyone seems to experience? maybe not because you are getting stuck in a different part of the process.

so you're getting stuck when the rear window raises, but the boot is not lifting open? what if you (you will need someone else) while holding the button to lower the top, pull back(raise it further) the rear window as to activate the microswitch, will the process continue?

I believe I've seen the microswitch you are referring to, so I would think it be easy to replace.

you can easily, manually put the top down, you should learn how !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Fitz

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been good. Not had any problems with the car so not been about much.

I've fixed it!

Turned out the battery was a little low. Car started fine, b ut the charge was just too low to operate the storage lid. Revved engine to 2k and the roof worked.

I've learnt how to manually operate roof now and resync motors, but I've heard you should only 'raise' roof manually in an emergency as the storage lid will not lock and wind could get under it and whip it open when driving.

I know the stretched strap issue, I fied that with a small bungee strap some time back though I do have to reach back and pull it forward occassionally. Never needed another person to do that though, you must have short arms, hehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: