Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factory head unit has intermittant FM reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Factory head unit has intermittant FM reception Reply with quote

Hey guys (and gals), I'm back for a question. The factory head unit (CD33?) in my '96 328i has started having problems on FM only. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Often it will start working after everything gets good and warm, and once that happens it will work normally for as long as it stays warm. The problem only affects FM, not AM, CD changer or weatherband. I suspect a bad solder joint somewhere, but can't decide whether it is likely to be in the radio itself, or the Diversity antenna. Anyone had a similar problem?
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory head unit has intermittant FM reception Reply with quote

While it is acting up remove the radio from the dash and disconnect the antenna cable. That is the larger black one. Take a piece of #20 wire about 30" long and strip one end. Insert it into the antenna socket. If the FM works, suspect the antenna system.

Phil

Arne wrote:
Hey guys (and gals), I'm back for a question. The factory head unit (CD33?) in my '96 328i has started having problems on FM only. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Often it will start working after everything gets good and warm, and once that happens it will work normally for as long as it stays warm. The problem only affects FM, not AM, CD changer or weatherband. I suspect a bad solder joint somewhere, but can't decide whether it is likely to be in the radio itself, or the Diversity antenna. Anyone had a similar problem?
BRuckdeschel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arne,

Have you figured it out yet? Mine started doing the same thing this summer with an aftermarket Alpine. This may help you in trouble shooting other areas besides internal to the radio.

Brian
88_325is

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRuckdeschel wrote:
Arne,

Have you figured it out yet? Mine started doing the same thing this summer with an aftermarket Alpine. This may help you in trouble shooting other areas besides internal to the radio.

Brian

I have an aftermarket kenwood in mine and it does the same thing..local stations fade in and out..I will pull it this weekend and check the antenna cabe.
1978 Firebird (son) original 80k miles
Arne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, haven't gotten around to looking at it yet - too busy playing with the 240Z. But I am leaning towards the antenna a little, as when it cuts out (abruptly, not fading) the stereo indication goes also. There are times when it's getting ready to go, that the signal gets extremely static-filled. So I'm pretty sure that the reception of the signal cuts out.

On the other hand, AM and weatherband reception is unaffected, it works perfectly at all times. So I'm not sure if there is a separate FM circuit in the Diversity antenna unit. If not, it pretty much has to be in the head unit itself.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AM antenna is seperate and it has its own amplifier in the box located in the driver's side rear pillar. The outputs of the AM amplifier and the FM amplifiers are combined in a diplexer before the output connector.

Phil

Arne wrote:
No, haven't gotten around to looking at it yet - too busy playing with the 240Z. But I am leaning towards the antenna a little, as when it cuts out (abruptly, not fading) the stereo indication goes also. There are times when it's getting ready to go, that the signal gets extremely static-filled. So I'm pretty sure that the reception of the signal cuts out.

On the other hand, AM and weatherband reception is unaffected, it works perfectly at all times. So I'm not sure if there is a separate FM circuit in the Diversity antenna unit. If not, it pretty much has to be in the head unit itself.
Arne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I've been here, but I thought I'd stop by to ask a question - since I now strongly believe that this issue is the antenna module in the rear near the window, anyone have any good recommendations where to find an affordable replacement unit? Used would be OK I guess, if I was pretty certain it was still good.
PJK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you replace the antenna electronics I would suggest that you perform the simple test which I described.

It may be easier to perform the test if you use and adapter from the OEM antenna connecter to Motorola connector.

Phil

Arne wrote:
Been a long time since I've been here, but I thought I'd stop by to ask a question - since I now strongly believe that this issue is the antenna module in the rear near the window, anyone have any good recommendations where to find an affordable replacement unit? Used would be OK I guess, if I was pretty certain it was still good.
lesl2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Arne, welcome back. I had the same problem before. I cured it by spraying electrical contact cleaner on all the connectors/sockets to the antenna amplifier. If you need a used one. This place has them:
http://www.data.bmrparts.com/bmwparts/1316.html
Beemer3181s

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar problem... My FM reception fades considerably when the rear screen demister is on. I'm guessing its because the rear screen heater matrix and the antenna are so close to each other on the rear screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In US cars and I would guess UK cars as well the screen heater and the FM antenna are more than just close, they are one and the same. In the boxes mounted in the roof pillar are diplexers to islolate the DC for the heater from the RF signal from the FM antenna. I would suspect a problem in the antenna boxes with the symptom you describe.

Beemer3181s wrote:
I've got a similar problem... My FM reception fades considerably when the rear screen demister is on. I'm guessing its because the rear screen heater matrix and the antenna are so close to each other on the rear screen.
Arne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by the forum here to do some research as I prepare to sell my father's E30, and thought that I should perhaps close out this thread.

Yes, I still own my 328i, and I no longer have FM issues. The problem was not the antenna modules, but was the tuner in the factory head unit (the original Alpine C33 w/weather band). I diagnosed this by swapping in a different C33 from a co-worker's '97 328i. That worked perfectly, so I bought and installed a used C43, all is now fine.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have had this sorted out in Nov. 2005 had you followed my suggestion.

Phil

Arne wrote:
I stopped by the forum here to do some research as I prepare to sell my father's E30, and thought that I should perhaps close out this thread.

Yes, I still own my 328i, and I no longer have FM issues. The problem was not the antenna modules, but was the tuner in the factory head unit (the original Alpine C33 w/weather band). I diagnosed this by swapping in a different C33 from a co-worker's '97 328i. That worked perfectly, so I bought and installed a used C43, all is now fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: