Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Braking and entry...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleggy300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Braking and entry... Reply with quote

Hello there i new to the forums and need help allready Smile

Ok this not the norm but go with me with on this......

I am trying to get a e36 320i coupe.... the only prob it that its been abandoned.

im interested in it becoz it looks in good nick and hasn't moved for 9 months and its a shame.

the problem i have is of course is that i have no keys....... so the first would be to get into it with out doing to much damage, popping the driver window i hear is a easy option but im not sure how much a new window is.

the second is the imobilizer if fitted. are they something that can be sorted? or scrap it straight away.

i know i would have to get new locks and Ignition Barrell but would there be any other probs?

if anyone can help me i would be greatfull, i know this is probly a taboo subject.

Cleggy
Fitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be suprised if you get any/many replies. Look at the situation...

newbie.. first post.. asking how to break in to a car.. and coupled with a nice little story about how it's been abandoned.

Now, I'm not suggesting your are trying to steal it, but I'd hate to see people openly posting replies on how to do it, so a would be thief can come along and find out.

I'd concentrate in contecting the registered owner first. Not sure what country you are in, but in the UK you have to gain the details via an enquiry with the DVLA and then be able to prove you have attempted to contact the registered keeper somethig like 6 times over a certain period of time. If no joy, you can then apply for it to be transferred in to your name. If you don't do any of that, any tampering with the car is considered theft/attempted theft.
B Trusty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Fitz. Your situation sounds a lot like you would like to steal the car. For your sake, I hope not.

I did have a situation similar to yours a few years ago when I lived in New Orleans. While driving around working, I saw an E30 325is that I instantly fell in love over. I would drive by the house where it was parked for well over a year. I noticed that it didn't move, so I assumed that the owner did not want it or use it. I decided to leave a note on the owner's door with my contact information. Eventually he called me, we negotiated a price, and I bought the car a couple of months later. Might I suggest that you do the same.

dale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleggy,
The right route to take is get legal ownership of the car.
Ask your dept of motor vehicles how to do that.
In my state, you can file to register a car with a provisional title, that is branded for 3 years. If the original owner shows up, or files a police report, they could claim the vehicle.
Those likely aren't the exact steps, but I remember doing something like this for a large 24' trailer I bought that had no title.

Once you have a title and or registration in your name, then go to a dealer and have them order you a new key. Expect to pay around $100US

Once you have the new key, open the trunk and put a new battery in, cause after a year it's sure to be dead, then try to get it started.

Let us know how it goes.
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: