Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil leaking 325i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t white

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 11:39 pm    Post subject: oil leaking 325i Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I don't think that theres an easy way out of this as its probably leaking from the front cam oil seal. I had a '90 525 with the same engine and when I had BMW change the cam belt I insisted they change the front seal. They didn't do it and it came out leaking! so I insisted they did it again. The m20 small six's all seem to leak from this area. My brother in laws '91 320 also leaked even after a complete head rebuild at BMW's. The danger is that if the belt gets contaminated with oil and goes you will end up with a bigger bill than you've been quoted.

Trevor White '93 525iSEa surrey U.K.
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:17 am    Post subject: oil leaking 325i Reply with quote

There are 3 seals that are the usual leakers. The Cam seal, the crank seal and one in between (can't remember what it drives), I was told when I first bought my car that all 3 should be changed with every timing belt. Being in a hurry and seeing no leaks, I changed the cam and crank, sure enough, less than 10K after the belt change the middle one started leaking. Not enough to go back in to fix, but annoying just the same. I think the severity of the leak determines fix now or later. The oil will cause the belt to wear out more quickly. If you can live with the leak, may want to do the next belt change at 40-50K rather than wait to 60K and fix all the seals then. Or if it was on your work order and the dealer didn't comply, take it back or their nickel. Best of luck.

Ken Juul
'87 325ic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: