Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electronic shift control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: electronic shift control Reply with quote

lately when i come to a stop, my electronic shift light comes on and the transmissing stays in third, but only when i come to a stop, also, its only after the transmission is warm too, is there a sensor that usually goes bad, or something i need to look for, hopefully it something as easy as changing the fluid that will fix it. its a 1988 635csi with an auto.

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles on the car? If more than 150k, you may need to rebuild the trans.

Try a fluid change. You'll need to change it 3 times to get most of the old fluid out, since the torque converter holds most of it.

You can also use the internal pump to flush it. Some say it's a bad idea to power flush an old trans.

How long since the last fluid change? If never, the trans is probably worn out.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car only has about 130k on it, the people that had it before me babied the car (they were an elderly couple) and had all factory maintenence at the correct intervals... but i tighted the battery terminal on the battery and it has yet to do it again Smile but i forsee a 5 speed going into it pretty soon though (after i put the 5 speed in my other three series)

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: