Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My "new" 93 740i..how do I reset the check engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllanGoFast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: My "new" 93 740i..how do I reset the check engine Reply with quote

Hi, this my first post here, I have never owned a BMW before, but I recently traded my 84 Alfa Romeo Spider for a 93 740i. The car is beautiful and runs great and a pleasure to drive...the check engine light is on....my question, how do you re-set it. [/list][/code][/quote]

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just resetting the light, you really should find out what turned it on. It could be serious, or not.

The lowest-cost unit is the Peake, which reads and resets the code:

http://www.peakeresearch.com/code_tool.htm

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
AllanGoFast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Resetting check engine light Reply with quote

Thanks Edjack...I am really unfamiliar with BMW's I think over my 63 years on this planet I've owned and tinkered with just about everything but a BMW. It seems to be a wonderful car. I traded my Son an Alfa Spider, even steven. He supposedly had over 2-grand worth of work at a repair shop which was supposed to reset the check engine light, but they told him to fill it up and drive a tank of gas thru it and bring it back and they would reset it. When he went back, they told him he needed more work and would not reset it. The car runs and drives absolutely perfect, it is a real pleasure to drive. I think I will purchase the "Peake" you mentioned and diagnose it myself....I would always prefer to buy the proper tools and do my own work if at all possible...This a beautiful well cared for car and looks like new inside and out and drives just as nice. Once again, thank you very much for your advice and assistance...Allan
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my second BMW. They are not difficult to work on, if you are proficient with tools, and have a good variety of automotive tools. However, many jobs require a BMW special tool, but, in some cases, a generic tool will work.

Try this forum; it tends to be more active than Unofficial, especially for the 7-series:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e32/forum.php

I would also urge you to buy this service manual:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=b794

The only major downside to owning a BMW is that you will be dissatisfied with anything else.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
AllanGoFast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Check engine light Reply with quote

Hi edjack..once again thanks for the info. I visited the site you mentioned and will certainly aquire the Bently manual. [/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: