Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 BMW 740 iL Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharon lorraine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: 2001 BMW 740 iL Windows Reply with quote

Hello,
My husband has an '01 with bulletproof glass windows. From the moment of purchase, the windows have been peeling & having problems & have been replaced a total of 22 times by BMW. They said they couldn't be replaced with regular glass windows, but now that we're complaining to BMW Corporate, they want to replace with regular glass windows, not bulletproof because THEY KNOW they've had nothing but problems with these windows. Do you recommend changing to regular glass? Will it still be airtight? Please help with any info. you have. Thank you.
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? Why do you have this car? Do you live in the Middle East, or in South America? If so, why would you want to give up the existing windows?

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
sharon lorraine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but the car was purchased in Westlake Village, CA, which is outside LA, & the car automatically came with the package. I don't get it either, but it did. As for the windows, do you have an opinion for changing them out, either pro or con? Thanks.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sell it to a gang-banger? Should be a good market for it down there!

Seriously, I would take it to a well-regarded auto glass shop and get their opinion, too. It may be that the window tracks will need to be changed, and may affect sealing, which will cause wind noise.

Not sure what mods are made to install bulletproof glass.

22 times, WOW!

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
druggrepp

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: bullet proof windows Reply with quote

The window regulators on BMW 740s are at best wimpy.
They are a simple rail with 2 cables, 4 nylon guides and are prone to breakage anyway.
Normally bulletproof windows should always stay in the up position, hence the need of protection, and if you do have them changed to regularglass, be sure to sell the bulletproof ones on ebay. An yes you will probably have to change out the guides also as bp glass is close to 1/2" thick.
just leave them up use the awesome a/c and feel safe in cali.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: