Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dallas TX area Need used E30 motor or any fix advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeemerbabeTX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Dallas TX area Need used E30 motor or any fix advice! Reply with quote

I love this site and have used the forums religiously over the past few years with issues on specific things and this is the first time I have had a need to even post. That is how informative this site is for me. To make a long story short, after reading the very first post about timing belts I guess I am the newest timing belt victim. I Lost it at a high speed and resulted in 0 compression, I haven't even investigated it yet but know without a doubt it is BAD BAD NEWS. I have a 1987 325is coupe 5 speed manual. I have put way to much $$ into it the last 5 years replacing major parts and suspension ($6000 to be exact), to give up on it and besides I just LOVE my lilred. I have noticed some posts that there may be used motors available anywhere from $250 and up. I would appreciate any advice as to where to start looking for a motor what things I need to ask etc. I am also open to any advice as well on what other steps I could take to keep it going. This car has been BY FAR the best vehicle and most dependable car I have ever owned in my life and I just cannott part with itl. Any help will be Greatly appreciated!

Thank you so very much!

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
tncean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavarian Engine Exchange has a web site. Think they offer an exchange (they want your old one for rebuild) program. Engine is warrantied.

Would be very possible to have a local independent shop do the exchange for you. Would guess 2500 to 3k range for everything.

The 250$ motors you read about are out of wrecks. No warranty, no telling what you are getting, how it was maintained, etc.

Another option is to have your engine rebuilt locally. Probably 1700 to 2500 range.

Yes, the timing belt change-out is vital.

Good luck on your decision.

tncean
bluefury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask a few guys I know local and see if I can locate something with a somewhat known history. If nothing found, there always is going down to Jefferson to where all the yards are and looking around there. If you need an extra hand with any of what you're about to embark on, let me know.

Eric
04 GTO
02 Impala LS Sport
91 750iL
86 325e -- SOLD
85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion... it's alive and DAMN is it quick!! Coming soon.. Euro Bumpers!
cmcon98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a new engine. Remove the head. If the pistons look OK, I would take your head to a machine shop and have it tested for cracks. If it's OK, have it rebuilt, slap it back on with new gaskets, timing belt, seals, tensioner, and water pump and you're good to go. Total cost: under $500 if you remove and reinstall the head yourself.
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmcon 98 is right, but you won't know if pistons are ok until head is off. Doubt that the valve train or head, survived at all, at high speed. Think it would be worth a look-see. Having a head replaced will still be pricy, but far less than a complete rebuild. The reason I suggested a re-manufactured engine is you indicated you wish to keep the car for a long time. All engines eventually need rebuilding, but, with a head job or 2, the bmw m20 is known to give 300k, or more. Massive bearings, German steel.

Even if I went the used enginge route, I would rework the head. But, hey, that's just my way of doing things.

Good luck....tncean
JRS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who owns a junkyard in Shreveport, LA area. If he can find an engine, his network can have it shipped to you. But it would be wise to look into your current engine as it may be repairable.

My t-belt snapped after it was improperly installed. The mechanic who installed it fixed the engine and it has been running strong since. That was almost 2 years ago.

JRS

Is your cup half full or half empty ?
rj7hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my brother's 325. It costs a little to rebuild the head, but if the bottm end is solid that may be the best way to go. Metric Mechanic used to do some good rebuilt engines if you ae interested in a little hot rod engine Cool

Be careful inspecting the pistons when you pull the head. Look for any sharp edges and/or hairline cracks in the top of the piston. If there is one that took a good smack, you may end up with some bearing noise from that cylinder.

If it were mine - I would pull the head and have it checked and built. Put the head back on and go for another 150k miles Wink remember to change the water pump when you put the new belt on.
Quincy56

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree. Check your engine first by removing the head. If the pistons are damaged, I would look for a decent used engine.

Might be a good time to go for a M50 conversion instead of another M20. There are plenty of decent used engines out there from folks who don't know how to drive and wreck their BMWs.

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
BeemerbabeTX

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for all your help guys. As much as I hate too I am cutting my emotional string and selling the whole car or trading it for a dependable running vehicle so my 18 yr old son will have transportation. And honestly I just dont have the time or space to investigate it either. I grew up in the garage with my dad and am very mechanically inclined however I haven't tackled a motor replacement on anything other than the old chevy 350's years back. Also it will just guarantee me getting a newer model to tinker with later on. Keep your feelers out for me a buyer or possible trade.
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get another used M20 for ~500$. Check Ebay, or local craigslist etc. I wouldn't try to repair the old one when you can get it replaced faster and probably cheaper. Then your car will be running, and you'll have all the time to do whatever with the old engine.

M50 conversion will require much more $$ and time and labor.

1988 325is | 199k+ | First car (now s52 powered) Cool
1992 Saab c900 | 200k+ | Winter vehicle
1982 Virago xv920j | 25k+ | Cool
bluefury

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are going to ask for it as is with a bad motor?

Eric
04 GTO
02 Impala LS Sport
91 750iL
86 325e -- SOLD
85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion... it's alive and DAMN is it quick!! Coming soon.. Euro Bumpers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: