Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go for a bit of exile?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very possible to "deck hand" for a large sailing vessel. Food supplied, but not your way "home". Sign up at local marina. Be wary.

tncean
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bicycle person I'd ride in Europe. For instance...France, Italy, Ireland, Britain, Switzerland, Germany (either/or). Put bike onto a train and you're overnight in another place. Stay in bed and breakfasts/pensions/hotels. Put panniers on the bicycles to carry a very light load and off you go. Be surprised whom you meet on the road. Eat well, sleep well, stay fit. And you're mobile.

"Henry the Navigator

Prince Henry the Navigator (Dom Henrique) was the son of King João of Portugal, born in 1394. He is most famous for the voyages of discovery that he organised and financed, which eventually led to the rounding of Africa and the establishment of sea routes to the Indies. Henry was also a very devout man, and was Governor of the Order of Christ from 1420 until his death in 1460.

This page gives an introduction to his life and times, concentrating on the discoveries and his activities with the Order of Christ."

no relation
TnSlim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Being a bicycle person I'd ride in Europe. For instance...France, Italy, Ireland, Britain, Switzerland, Germany (either/or). Put bike onto a train and you're overnight in another place. Stay in bed and breakfasts/pensions/hotels. Put panniers on the bicycles to carry a very light load and off you go. Be surprised whom you meet on the road. Eat well, sleep well, stay fit. And you're mobile....

Henry, that would be my first choice except that for the last couple of years before coming to Iraq, I was plagued by a chronic foot problem that limited me to (at most) 25-30 miles at a pop. But it was unpredictable, never properly diagnosed, and I’m three years older. I’m certain beyond any reasonable doubt that a cycling tour –- especially riding alone -- would end disasterously.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tncean wrote:
It is very possible to "deck hand" for a large sailing vessel. Food supplied, but not your way "home". Sign up at local marina. Be wary.

tncean

I’m too derned old to be imitating an able-bodied seaman but I have given thought to taking passage on a tramp steamer.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no, no...you're no hand for hire; you're THE CAPTAIN of your own vessel...YOU do the hiring...and you hire only easy-on-the-eyes able bodied female seamen.

Trust panzer on this one.

Back in caveman times, the male with the biggest fur pelt was the best provider...and the best provider attracted the best candidates for procreation.

In modern times, the fur pelt has been replaced with things like houses, cars and boats. buy an old boat - you will have no shortage of labor willing to share the dream of a secure tomorrow. That labor will be 20ish, and have boundless energy...it could very well heal your heel.

trust Panzer...
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babe Magnet: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,473295,00.html
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is one HUGE fur pelt, Henry.

talk about phalic - the first paragraph mentions, "sleek" "mega cruise" and "99 meters long"...sounds like an ad for oversized condoms!
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice of southern Europe coincides with my thinking. I was just in Paris and the weather was not likable, cold and wet. Besides, it was expensive. Spain and Portugal are more like it, cheaper and warmer.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donaldan wrote:
Your choice of southern Europe coincides with my thinking. I was just in Paris and the weather was not likable, cold and wet. Besides, it was expensive. Spain and Portugal are more like it, cheaper and warmer.

Yeah, but you know why Paris got the Parisians and Molokai got the lepers, don’tcha? Molokai had first choice. ....rimshot.... Wink

I kid. I’ve got no heartburn with Parisians (apart from their being Frogs).
tncean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't forget to be where you are.

Hmm. Maybe a small apt with a kitchen, books, tunes. Sleep and eat too much for a while. Decompression time. Then, see if something comes along you might enjoy.

tncean
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing seems to work. Elba.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Nothing seems to work. Elba.

Able was I ere I saw Elba. Somewhere in all this travel research, I came across a tramp steamer that goes from Portugal to Elba, then to the west coast of Africa, then South Africa. I’ll never have another cause to visit Elba, so it’s tempting.

I’m in contact with a guide to Mexico’s Copper Canyon who’s looking into provisions to suit my “special situation” (way up in the mountains where the heat won’t be oppressive). MTBing is less likely to set off my funky foot and there’s plenty of sunshine, señoritas and cervesas there to help me recover from two and a half years in this place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: