Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Pro 3 Vancouver Car

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagedruss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: New Pro 3 Vancouver Car Reply with quote

Finally getting this one done and out of here. Door bars are in now but I forgot the camera at home. I will finish uploading later.

Will be leaving for home tomorrow, car belongs to Robby Duca. He will be at the first conference school event in March.

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pro3-racing/photos/browse/4422

I posted the pics at the Yahoo Pro3 pictures area. Feel free to browse and comment.

The Duca's are good people, I think they will fit in.
cagedruss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cage is 99% finished. I will get a little criticism but I will defend it now.

I used 1.75"X.095" material. It weighs 1.66 lbs per linear foot. 1.5"X.125" weighs in at 1.879" per linear foot. The former is also stronger so I decided to use a little more than the basic 8 pt cage.

I have rolled and flipped many race cars and I would rather play it safe when it comes to someone else's life.

The first criticism will be why did I add an extra diagonal bar to the main hoop? Well, I wanted to anchor the main hoop on the drivers side in case there was a substantial impact in the side or door bars. I could have ran a horizontal from side to side but the extra 12" of length allowed me to do an "X" with the horizontal tying into the "X" like a rally cage. Very strong and will anchor the hoop with minimal weight.

Second will be why the rear "X", not everyone does it and it is heavy.. Well, I wanted to make the chassis rigid because we all know the E30 is a little flexible, plus it also helps anchor the main hoop in a severe roll over or side impact. 2 straight rear supports do very little with torsional twist, there function is to support the main hoop from front to rear.

Third, why the "X" door bars? I am a fan of the NASCAR door bars but only when I can anchor the center vertical struts to the chassis/frame which we are not allowed. "X" are stronger than Rectangles from front to rear and do allow for a easy entry and exit. But I only use them when I can gusset the center of the "X" to help distribute the shock loads through the intersection of the two tubes. I will be adding 16 gauge sheet steel to the "X of the door bars to achieve that. The "X" is also pushed out into the door skin to help with absorbing the energy of an impact. I will not use just a flat door bar of either type, I have seen a few fail and bend inwards to the driver's seat.

This cage weighs approx. 30-35lbs more than a typical 8pt but will be significantly more rigid and will allow the suspension to be tuned easier and should give the driver more protection

Either way, the Customer likes it and I can sleep better at night.
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that once the car's fully prepped, he will probably have to add weight to make race weight (2650#), it's really not a problem. In retrospect, I definitely could have put in more cage with no real penalty short of the weight being higher up. Cage looks awesome!
07 335i, 91 318is, 87 325is race car #55 Pro-3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: