Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

330xi vs 330i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott1bmw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: 330xi vs 330i Reply with quote

I am considering buying a used bmw and would like some input from those who know the cars the best. I have been looking at 330xi's because of the all wheel drive, and I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow in the winter. But I have been wondering about the performance trade offs. I would realy like to hear from those who use their vehicles in snowy areas.
Thanks in advance for your input.
stadel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to live with "withe" winters go for the "X" without any doubt.

Without X you will fight any day. BMW's are perfectly balanced so driving them in the snow is a really pleasure ( winter tyres are mandatory otherwise live the car into the garage) but this is true until you have to climb a hill or simply a step. Even take out the car from a parking in reverse could be very hard. I have a lot experience with BMW's in the snow and I had also owned many of them. My father has an old but exellent 525iX touring and with four good snow tyres it's like a snow cat. All the others RWD BMW inclusive the ones with ASC+T or DSC may create problems climbing roads. I often have to put on snow chains even if I use snow tyres.

I hope this will help.

Luca.
stadel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to live with "withe" winters go for the "X" without any doubt.

Without X you will fight any day. BMW's are perfectly balanced so driving them in the snow is a really pleasure ( winter tyres are mandatory otherwise live the car into the garage) but this is true until you have to climb a hill or simply a step. Even take out the car from a parking in reverse could be very hard. I have a lot experience with BMW's in the snow and I had also owned many of them. My father has an old but exellent 525iX touring and with four good snow tyres it's like a snow cat. All the others RWD BMW inclusive the ones with ASC+T or DSC may create problems climbing roads. I often have to put on snow chains even if I use snow tyres.

I hope this will help.

Luca.
SSearch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The all wheel drive in the xi is a blast. It's very balanced, and feels right, although the traction control does come on a little early on dry pavement. It is still a sports sedan though, and will handle the snow and ice as one... I have all season perfomance tires on mine, and do drive it all year round - however on the messy days and mud season I drive me explorer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: