Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DONE! - reproduction early es/is spoiler mounting brackets!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejs999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: DONE! - reproduction early es/is spoiler mounting brackets! Reply with quote

After having a major problem (and rather _pissed) with a guy on ebay with a supposedly complete spoiler and brackets, I decided to make my own brackets. I spent more than I thought (enough to buy several entire spoilers on ebay!) and spend alot more time than I wanted, but now I can make as many of them as I want! I used a urethane resin that is quite strong (i.e., it is machineable) - if you want specs, I can tell you later; the material seems not as brittle as the original plastic. I made molds from used and repaired broken brackets - the resin and molds picked up so much detail, that you can see the marks from the star wahers, etc. from the prototype brackets. This should replace bmw part number 82-11-1-466-520. I will sell sets to defray the costs of the ordeal. I am thinking in the range of about $40/set. These were designed to be sacrificial and not punch holes in the spoiler when you hit something (unlike those that were reproduced in aluminum - which is why, in part, I selected this material). Tell me what you think!
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=547066615&photoID=2052913600046094003&security=DqjAiN
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=547066615&photoID=2343061740046094003&security=RVWhBh

Last edited by ejs999 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your a genius...

thats much cheaper to break and repair than the entire front spoiler...

kuddos to you ...

i hope you earn at least double your investment...if not by tenfold
in addition.
is there a way to make the spoiler a non-scratchable surface, like a thin film of clear rubber or make it out of something pliable...
e30_325es

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. As soon as I get the money I'll take a set. Give me about a week or so.

I'd also highly recommend posting this on other forums like e30tech.com, r3vlimited.com, and bimmerforums.com. You have the potential to sell a ton of these!!!

86 325es The Super Eta.....
07 MCS The Daily
ejs999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: idanity, ... Reply with quote

I would try the 3M clear material that they use for hood fronts, the material is in the kits they sell at Bavauto for the e36 and newer. You can get it in rolls. not cheap, but neither is repairing that thing either! Or, a clear version of the "rock guard" paint they put at the bottom of cars - it has a "smooth pebbly" texture. I've only seen that paint in grey or black, but you never know.

edit: http://www.autopaintguard.com/bulk.asp

Last edited by ejs999 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
wazzu70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job!

1984 BMW 325e
1991 BMW 325i
1976 Honda CB400F Super Sport
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: