Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front End Rebuild Coming Soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbcncsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2000 4:24 pm    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

I have a 1985 318i that needs a rebuild of the front suspension. It pulls to the left, rattles when going over bumps and drives more like a tank than a BMW. I have purchased new control arms, control arm bushings, swaybar end links and tie rod assemblies. The only part I haven't bought yet are struts and a rebuilt rack and pinion.
Does anyone know of a good source for Bilsteins other than Bavarian Auto? I need to do price comparisons before I buy. Also, is there a good, trusted/reputable source for rebuilt racks? Is a rebuild kit available for the power racks?

Any input would be appreciated.

Scott
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 2:34 pm    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

I've gotta quit clicking so fast. anyway here is the reply that I accidentally posted as a new topic.

Bob Duckworth

Contact Steve Haygood at shaygood@alltel.net. He can save you some money on these parts. Think about Boge's instead of Bilsteins. Bilsteins are pretty harsh riding.
HTH

Bob Duckworth
sbcncsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 10:40 am    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I will send Steve an e-mail.
BTW: Have you ever replaced the Rack in an E-30? Is it difficult? Can it be accomplished with the car on jack stands?

Thanks and I hope you had a Merry Christmas!
rduckwor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 1:33 pm    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

Haven't yet done an E30. Did an E21 long time ago. SHouldn't be a big deaal on the stands.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
GregByrd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 7:37 pm    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

I just put a new rack in our 85 325e and it was a pretty easy job. I took the best part of a Saturday to do it, working slowly and carefully. There are two tabs that you must bend a bit to get the old one out and the new one in. There's a good description of the process at http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/rack.html. I used that info along with my Bentley manual.
We got our rack through Bavarian Parts (bavarianparts.com) not the same as Bavarian Auto Parts. Mark there was very helpful and even shipped the rack express w/o charging extra for it.

Greg
sbcncsu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 6:00 pm    Post subject: Front End Rebuild Coming Soon Reply with quote

Well, 2 days and it is done. I installed new control arms, control arm bushings, swaybar endlinks, tie rods and a remanufactured power steering rack. I need to take it to the shop for the alignment now but, even toed out a bit, it drove around the block beautifully. I am amazed that a 16 year old car can be made to drive that well! Next up... Tune up, seats/covers, rubber seals... Stay tuned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: