Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This place

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

The following observations are not original, and I know that, but bear with me.

There is something about the impersonality of the 'net that brings out the worst in people.
The last month or so, this Lounge has been a prime example of the worst of the 'net.

Please think twice before posting to my space.
Consider that yes, the other guy may be a raging moron for believing what he does, but he is much more likely to consider your point of view if you coat it with honey instead of shoving it down his stupid throat.

Consider that men, women, children, all races, all creeds do or may read these postings. Sure sexist remarks can be funny, but I'm sure there is a "men's lounge" down the road where you'll find a more appropriate audience for the humor.

I won't say all the postings should be PG rated, but if a they become a risque R with pictures to illustrate the point, I'll probably just delete it, so what's the point?

I will probably be deleting more posts in the coming weeks, as I'm sure some folks won't learn from this gentle suggestive guide.
I'm also pretty sure I'll have to boot a person or two from the board if the crap continues to give me heartburn.

If you are unsure of whether to post or not, well, go ahead and post. If it disappears, well there is your answer.

This board has gotten totally out of control and I'm getting really tired of all the bickering.
I've got a job that wants more of my time, I've got projects around the garage that I've neglected, I'd love to spend more time with my wife.
Why the hell do I have this "lounge" board again?

Also, if things don't improve, I'll just turn this lounge into a read-only session, and we'll live with the occaisional joke posting on the E30 list.
dale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

This posting was step 1 in improving the Lounge.

Step 2 was locking down SNB's account. I had hoped that he would come around, but this was his 3rd strike. The other two accounts of his I removed a while ago were the first two.

I'm pretty sure he'll come back in a new disguise, and by his threats I'm sure he'll be talking trash in other places, but it just doesn't matter.
board_nerd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

I've certainly stirred the pot, though I've tried to do it in a manner that had, IMO, at least some intellectually redeeming value; that's probably academic. I think we have a group of people who are passionate about an often tempermental, old foreign car. And not just any foreign car, as we well know: THE ultimate driving machine. They're enthusiasts, and it bleeds over into the discussion of choice. Some of it gets past better boundries no doubt, but I've always expected that in a 'free-for-all' lounge area. Regardless, this remains one of the most informative and best administered sites of its kind that I've found. Heated threads aside, it's routinely a good, helpful and often amusing read. I know that takes consistent administrative effort behind the scenes. My genuine thanks for that work...
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

This is one of the best board I've seen - and I can imagine it takes a lot of "pruning" to keep it going. I bet at some point you've wanted to just junk it…and I appreciate you and Billo keeping it going for us.

panzer
markf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

Here-Here. I concure.

Dale.. my apologies for contributing 'Flamed' content.

Thanx for being there.
Much appreciated.
jamminjames

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

My apologies also...

In retrospect - I do have better things to do.

Thanx for the proverbial smack in the face - I for one needed it.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

you know, just thinking out loud - but I don't see any banners or ads on the site...instead of dealing with our bickering for free, is it feasible to get sponsors? I feel quilty that you do this work for us and don't get paid - this board is better than roadfly, I figure someone must want to sponsor it???
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Henry:

i promise to maintain my high standards of honesty, forthrightness, toughness, consideration

??? I have not read any of those posts you described above.
dale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

panzer,
there are banner ads on other portions of the site, but not on the individual topics.
I pay for most of the site costs via bentley books sales on amazon.

Feel free to contribute:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/support-unbmw.html

Dale

[ 08-03-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
patrick66

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

Dale, you, as the administrator, definitely have the right to do as you please with this forum. I appreciate, despite some of the uglier and downright inconsiderate posts in the recent past from people, your ability to keep things in order without having to shut things down or booting folks out en masse. The lounge is a great forum and a great idea that works well in several forums I participate in, and would hate to see things go south here.

Personally, I feel my postings have been very genteel compared to the wacko @&%^^! floating around. But, then, that's me. So, if some of you feel my posts have been over the top, I shall humbly apologize. I will, however, defend my posts and continue to frequent this top-notch forum until this place is no longer. Dale and Billo, both of you guys are doing a fine job on this puppy!
pup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by dale:

Consider that men, women, children, all races, all creeds do or may read these postings. Sure sexist remarks can be funny, but I'm sure there is a "men's lounge" down the road where you'll find a more appropriate audience for the humor.

exact reason i censor myself in my posts. in conversations amoungst friends i am far more liberal in my use of language.

first off- thanks dale, you shouldn't have to mention these things, but i am glad you did.
secondly- perhaps a subforum for politics would be better and the lounge could revert to what i believe to be its original intent: interesting, amusing, and/or enlightening non-car related posts. not the constant bickering and arguing (see my forum name change post).
dale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

I'd rather not split it off, as you should be able to discuss politics in a civil manner, which is the standard I'm trying to hold all of the postings to.
Sometimes with more success then others.
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

Jeez, I take some time off to embed tissues for a few days, and everyone goes all civilized!

"There is something about the impersonality of the 'net that brings out the worst in people."

I've met a lot of people all over the country in person who I initially met online, and it's because of this factor. The impersonality->rudeness is a very easy trap to fall into, adn I tend to fall into it myself. I do think it helps to actually meet people offline, becasue almost everyone who I've met offline has turned out to be a decent and worthwhile person. When that isn't possible... try to give a face and a name to the person. It humanizes them immensely.

Hrm, what do y'all think of a "What do you look like?" thread?
jamminjames

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

I'll do it if you'll do it...

Sounds good...
donaldan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: This place Reply with quote

Dale, sometimes, it is ncessary to say it loud how much I appreciate you and others in maintaining this site. I am not the most articulate person and short on literary capability so my sentiment expressed here is simple, nevertheless sincere. I totally agree with you that discussions don't have to be un-civil to be convincing. I truly believe that most of us are decent and rational people. We are capable of making decision for ourselves without having to be hammered. To me, that is a liberal thinking, and I like to think I am that kind of a liberal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: