Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We went last night

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toolman7672

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

we went last night to see the passion of Christ. Now bear in mind I am a red neck 6'2" 230lb. man that was crying like a baby.
I have read the book but the visual imaging really drove the message home. If any of you have seen it what did you think.
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Not going. Have known the story since I was a kid and the ending hasn't changed. I was suprised that so many peoplr think this is a new, important story. Like 40% of the kids on the Middle/North East coast I went to Catholic school. Every Friday afternoon in Lent was spent in Church doing the Stations of the Cross. When you start a 7 years old, things become ingrained. I am sort of suprised at the number of people who are shocked at what happened. Did they ever look at a cruifix? Or read the New Testa ment?
By the way, I think Mel Gibson has some serious problems.
Mark
JRS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Somewhat in the same position as GreenHornet. I was an altar-boy for 7 years. Did regular Sunday masses, a few baptisms, and many funerals. I expect my kids to be altar-boys when they are of age.

I see people going to church 'because they have to' and not because they want to. Belief is in the heart and mind. Missing church isn't going to land you in hell or purgatory. It's not 'getting the message' that will.

Many pastors are encouraging their patrons to see the movie. It's those that have lost the message that will be greatly impacted. It's those that remember the message that reflect back on their faith.

I know I'll end up buying the DVD. But I've already got the book version: The Bible.

JRS
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Toolman,

Heavy duty topic, strokes for bringing it up. There’s a world of difference in religion and spiritualism. I know a lot of spiritual folks who haven’t seen the inside of a church in years. My parents sent me to a Catholic grade school because where I lived, that was a much better chance for an education. I went to a public high school. Being protestant, tuition was twice what it cost a Catholic. I also received the exposure that Protestants don’t. It was many years later that I realized all I really had learned. Like JRS, I’ll probably get the DVD. My first response when asked if I had seen the movie was; ‘Naw, I read the book’. It surprised me that Mel Gibson stepped ‘out on a limb’ like he did to publish such a movie (notice the double entendre reference to Shirley MacLaine’s book?). Once again, kudos toolman.

Bill

p.s. I was wonderin’ if 8immer ('Snake eyeS') would respond to this one. If so, I have one for you. Check out Ikisat, Kasdeja, and Taba'et. Should you find those, get back to me.
markf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Well.. there certainly has been a long line of lords & saviors in every land, who have endeavored to get man to pull his head out of his ass.
But all the stories end the same. "He dies, She dies, Everybody dies"
And if your not a believer, then you die too.
And man remains the same.. in darkness.. like his brothers before him.

The crucifix is a good place to stop and reflect.. but the journey to god is endless. Got ground to cover..
Drive on.
Cephas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

First off, let me say that I haven't seen it yet, and don't think I will in the theater. I will get the DVD though.
I think the reason that so many people are surprised by this movie is because of 2 things:

1) In today's world, it's hard for people to get a good idea (visual picture) without being shown that visual picture. We have to see things to believe them. This movie brings the story to reality for us because we can see it.

2) People forget that the story is also backed by historical documents such as the writings of the Jewish historian Josephus, and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Most people aren't taught the history of the Bible, just the Bible itself. And that can be hard to swallow for some because they are never shown the "proof" behind it all.
History proves that there was a man named Jesus, whether or not he was the son of God is what's debated. But the man did exist. I think that alot of people are turning from history and starting to say simply that he never existed. And in reality that is not true.

I agree with JRS,
A good reason to see it is to reflect back on your faith.

Hornet, as far as Mel Gibson, who knows, he does seem a little cookoo in some of his interviews, but hasn't he always been that way?
markf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Good point Cephas.. 'Jesu' did live.. and did deliver a message of peaceful coexistance. So did Ghandi, Budha, and a long list of others. People have been killing each other over little details ever since.. entirely missing the brief.

As brothers and sisters, we are all the sons and daughters of the creator.

my humble opinion.
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: We went last night Reply with quote

Which brings us to the question... The battle between light and darkness. If you grew up in the Catholic Church, possession was as much a part of the belief system as anything. If you can remember the movie ‘the exorcist’, that pretty much depicts the Catholic Church’s position on possession. Never, ever, anywhere has a possessed person cussed the name of Budda, Ghandi or any of the others. Neither does the name of Budda, Ghandi or even Shiva pull the anger and fear from the heart of those in darkness. Go figure...

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: