Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

warranty service

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Beltz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: warranty service Reply with quote

posted 01-20-2004 03:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a general note: After reading some of the posts reguarding service and in particular warranty service I wanted to make a couple of points. 1. A BMW service department only makes money when it fixes cars. This means customer pay and warranty. BMW pays very well for warranty repairs, and there is no selling involved. IF its broke it is fixed, end of story money in the bank. So, a dealership has no reason to not want to fix your car under warranty. The problem arrises when customers have issues that are either inherent in the design or intermitent in occurance or whatever repair is performed may not increase customer satisfaction a significant amount. But, once a dealership has attempted a repair then "the clock is ticking". Meaning if the repair does not fix the problem for whatever reason it has three attempts (Oregon law) to fully fix the problem or the owner can force a buy back through lemon law. Meaning, for instance, AM reception is poor and the writers and techs do not feel that any available repair will increase the reception to a acceptable level, then no repair should be made. No one makes a perfect car, and no tech is perfect, but if we were allowed to work on cars without unrealistic expectations and the understanding that BMW will always be there to help as will the dealer and that your car will be fixed if there is really a problem, then we will all be happy.

BD325ic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: warranty service Reply with quote

When I read your post a couple of weeks ago, I thought there would be a variety of negative responses.

I've owned a BMW for the past 11 years but can count the number of times I've been to the Dealership on one hand. Each time I've gone was to buy something so naturally I got good service.

I prefer to work on my own car, the satisfaction quotient is then entirely in my hands. I get my OE parts from a source other than the Dealer and I save quite a bit of money. My car is a second vehicle so taking it out of service to work on it has no impact.

I'm sure each Dealership is a reflection of it's owner and should be evaluated on a one on one basis. Some are great, others poor and the balance are in the middle somewhere.

It's probably the out-of-warranty repairs, where the costs seem to skyrocket or where the wholesale replacement of parts
that has most owners rubbed the wrong way.

I'm sure liability for the Dealership is factored in there somewhere which might explain some of the extra costs.

BMW isn't the only manufacturer that overcharges it's customers, Chevy recently wanted approximately $900 to change out the radiator on my wifes car, I did it for less than $200.

If you're a BMW Service Manager and believe in "Service First" as you've signed your post with, provide us with additional feedback and the position of the Dealer, you may open some eyes and help us to understand why things appear as they do.

Bruce
95 325ic
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: warranty service Reply with quote

People who are reading our discussions may get the impression that BMW dealers alone are robbing us blind. Of course, nothing is further from the truth. Nearly all dealer services, regardless of brands, are higher priced compared with DIY. Second in line are the prices of independent garages. It is but reasonable that we should pay for their mechanical expertise and brand specific knowledge. We should all be thankful that BMW parts are heavily discounted in many sources and we can save by doing some of the work ourselves.
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: warranty service Reply with quote

Don,

I've seen them called 'stealers' from time to time and I guess I'm blessed I haven't had to experience that yet. The one here in OKC that I deal with, I know the parts guy by first name and he's spent a good deal of time lookin' up parts that I'm just dreamin' about anyway. The sale only happens about 1/2 the time. There're patient and so far the parts I've bought there are only a percent or so higher than ordering and I have them today. When I have a bad experience, I'll chime in on that too...

Bill
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: warranty service Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by BD325ic:
..(snip)..BMW isn't the only manufacturer that overcharges it's customers, Chevy recently wanted approximately $900 to change out the radiator on my wifes car, I did it for less than $200....(snip)...
My Mercedes ML430 is in the shop for the 10K "Flex A" ordeal ($345). They called me today to let me know that the brake pads are due for replacement and that they charge (get this, I kid you not when he said $650 for the job. I nearly laughed on the phone. I told him to 'hold off' the on brake job.
I got the "Silber" plugs for my E30 ($35 online, shipped) and I installed them myself in under 40 minutes. I wonder how much Mercedes wants to charge me to change the plugs on my ML430.

JRS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: