Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1986 bmw 635csi: replacing wheels, any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducky8779

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: 1986 bmw 635csi: replacing wheels, any advice? Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Anita,
I am relatively new to the world of BMW (I am new to car ownership, period, as my BMW is the first car I ever purchased) I have a 1986 BMW 635 csi. I bought it 2 months ago for $1400.
Now, I found out that the tires are in such bad shape that they are unsafe to drive on. I was told that my tires would cost $1600 and that my best option would be to replace my wheels--which would be a mininum of $900 for wheel and tire package, which i cannot afford. I just need to make the car driveable.
I decided to buy used wheels from a junk yard, but i need to know what size wheels to buy. The tire shops won't answer the question, because they want me to buy new tires from them.

I did some research on the internet, and the following is what I have so far--. and I need to know if it is correct :

--5 lug pattern, 120 mm diameter
--www.tirerack.com listed several light alloy sports wheels that it says would fit on my car (ASA,Italia, BBS, Borbet, Breyton, Mille Miglia, moda, and Zinik) with sizes (15x{7 or 7.5}, 16x{7, 7.5, or 8} 17x{7.5,8, or 8.5}, 18x(8 or 8.5})

Also, help with any of the following questions would be much appreciated:

--What would be the best size wheel to use (it doesn't snow here-san diego)?

--Do I need to know the hub diameter, and if so, how do i find it?

--Do I have to use light alloy wheels, or are there steel wheels I could use as well?

--Is there a more standard wheel that can be used on my car (one that may be more commonly found in a junk yard)?

--Since in a junk yard, the wheels would likely still be attached to the car they came on-- What kind of cars (make, model) use the same size/kind of wheels that my car needs, to help me spot them easier?

--Do you have any other advice on replacing a wheel/owning a car/BMW that you can share? I am still new at this.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give. It will help me beyond measure.

With appreciation, Anita

[ 01-23-2005: Message edited by: ducky8779 ]
Tunaoue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: 1986 bmw 635csi: replacing wheels, any advice? Reply with quote

Hi Anita,
I'm new to this board too, but I'm not new to BMWs. The TRX tires are very expensive. In your case, I would get replacement wheels and tires. But, buying new can be cost prohibitive too.

Check around a few places, you should be able to find a set from another car. Start with the Recycler classifieds and craigslist. Post something like "Wanted: Used BMW wheels, 5 hole, 120mm to fit '80s 5 or 6 series".

Next try the local tire shops. Some of the Latino places are good for discount used wheels, try the independent shops too. I picked up a set of 850i wheels (retail for $600 each) for $100 the set of 4 at an independent BMW repair shop. Many times you can get tires for near nothing.

As you're doing, the boards like this one. Last month if I knew you needed them, I'd have given you a set of 15" basketweaves with fair 205/65/15 tires.
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: 1986 bmw 635csi: replacing wheels, any advice? Reply with quote

If you cannot afford an appropriate set of wheels for this car, I suggest you get rid of it right now! If you truly spent just $1400 for this car, you can be sure that you will spend 10 times that much in the next couple of years to keep it on the road. Anyone who would sell a car like this for this amount of money tells me the car is ready for the junkyard.

A used BMW is the last car one should consider as a first car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: