Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

Has anyone added any of the above to their 850i? and what was/is the result of this?

Thanks,
Chef

There is an overwhelming attention to the 3 series - am I at the right message center?

3 series are nice - had a 328i - fun - but not fun enough...
mwong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

When I had just the E30, I found this board was wonderful with plenty of information. However, there isn't much input when it comes to the bigger cars.

Take a look at this site:
RoadFly.org

I don't follow the E31 board, but I am guessing you will find more enthusiasts over there. The E38 board is wonderful and I have made plenty of friends locally and all over the nation from it. Each board over there has its own personality, and I can't say what the 8er board is like. I follow the E30,E38, and E39 boards and like them all, even though the crowds are a little different at each one.

Here are two other 8er boards that you may find helpful... I follow the E38 and European Delivery boards here:
BimmerFest.com

I follow the E38 and 'local' boards here:
BimmerForums,com

Good luck/hope it's helpful!
Chef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

Mr. Wong -

Thanks for your helpful suggestions - I'll check them out.

Chef
Aus 528i

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

forced induction on a 850i WOW that would be awesome.

Im doing a custom one in my own time on my 528i (1984) not in the same class but hey.

Are you intending on buying a pre-made kit or making a custom system up.

A great place to start is this book i bought:
Author: Corky Bell

Tite: Supercharge: design Testing and installation of Supercharger systems.

Gives you a great run down of Info on types of blowers and installing premade packages and designigning your own system.

The book is a little overwhelming though..lshows you all the math that is needed for working out Pulley ratios etc....

That is a good starting point.

Id love to see a blown 850i
McK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

Aus, I'm very curious. If you disregard the cost of your own research and development time, is there a substantial price difference between a DIY kit and a packaged kit?
Aus 528i

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

McK 325is:
For sure...so far i have spent about $1000 Aus dollars and am nearing completion and should be running about 250bhp from a stock 186bhp 2.8 M30 engine...if not alot more.

A system for a 5.0litre V8 from CAPA for about 10grand....if you couldnt put your own system together for about 5..then theres something wrong. http://www.capa.com.au/

There are alot of charger units to choose from and 3 main types, Roots (postive displacement used on Alchol dragsters.
Screw type
and Centrifugal

All have there pros and cons....Im using a Roots type.
It is a Toyota 1GGZE off toyotas 2litre staight 6 from some of there cars.

Which would be perfect for a 2litre M50 Inline 6.

Time is Money.....so if it is prebought package or a do-it yourself ..it really depends on how much your time is worth and how log you want your car off the road.

Good luck
McK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

That's very very interesting... thanks!

I have long ago decided that if I am learning, and enjoying the subject matter, I can't put a price tag on my time. Took a job with a lower salary for that reason, and haven't regretted it. And working on my car is one of my favorite hobbies.

You have given me some real food for thought, many thanks.
Aus 528i

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

Quote:
"I have long ago decided that if I am learning, and enjoying the subject matter, I can't put a price tag on my time. Took a job with a lower salary for that reason, and haven't regretted it. And working on my car is one of my favorite hobbies."

I agree totally...but my Old man thinks otherwise (waste of money is the usual comment..why spend money on a car etc..ect..) ...but you have to do something you enjoy.....i could always take up drugs..i wonder if that would be cheaper??
donaldan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience in Supercharging...Chiping...or Addin Reply with quote

We have a super tuner in town who has experience with the 8 series. Let me ask him. Currently he has a 840 in the shop with the engine being replaced by a latest 4.6 liter brand new BMW engine. Supercharging will follow as well as suspension mods. He himself drives a supercharged 840.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: