Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 740i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etanouye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: 2000 740i Reply with quote

I am attempting my first oil change on my 2000 740i. I am having difficulty locating the oil drain plug--what does it look like, and where is it located? Do I need a special tool to remove it once I am able to locate it? I change the oil on my other, less complicated, cars and am familiar with the process. However, this machine presents the added difficulties of a more refined auto. I would sincerely appreciate any advice in this regard. Thanks.
edjack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: 2000 740i Reply with quote

Have you found the little door under the car in the plastic undercover? Use a Phillips screwdriver to open the door. Th drain plug is right there. 14 mm socket, as I remember. The oil filter kit has a copper washer for the drain plug.

Back out the oil filter to drain the housing into the sump. Use a 36 mm socket to remove the filter. It snaps into the black plastic cap.

I thread a bolt into the boss on the side of the housing to hold onto to counteract the torque of removing the cap.
mwong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: 2000 740i Reply with quote

I have some photos here...

Link: E38 Oil Change Pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: