Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E32 Low Compression On One Cylinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbunch4468

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: E32 Low Compression On One Cylinder Reply with quote

I have had a compression done on my E32. The result shows low compression in cylinder eight.

The car idles rough, but other than that it runs pretty good (for now).

The car has 82,000 miles. I cannot see putting money in it for an engine swap. I am currently in 'No Man's Land'. I can't get hardly anything for a trade -- approx $4K.

How likely is it that I can get another 20K miles out of the car?

I am concerned about upcoming repair bills causing me to throw good money after bad.

The car has been relatively well maintained. What kinds of things should I look for in the next 20K miles?

Does anyone have any ideas about E32 transmission life expectancy? If I drive it up & over 100K miles, should I expect to shell out for a tranny overhaul? I have been told that I have a fluid leak when the control cable enters the tranny housing. Is this common? The mechanic says that the fluid will gradually wick its way up the cable causing shifting problems. Who has had experience with this issue?

Thanks!
petah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: E32 Low Compression On One Cylinder Reply with quote

Um, you have an E32 with 82K miles on it and it's only worth $4K? What year is it?

I have a friend with a 735i that the torque converter blew out at 270K miles, if that helps.
MBennett

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: E32 Low Compression On One Cylinder Reply with quote

My question is, How low is low? Is #8 10-20% lower than the others, or more like 50% lower?
What was the resolution of your last post, about oil in the intake? What did you have to fix?
In a previous post you asked me about my car's repair history. You can contact me directly at mabpjb@msn.com

Mike
charliesmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: E32 Low Compression On One Cylinder Reply with quote

FYI,

Most automotive shop manuals state that compression test readings shouldn't vary more that 15% between cylinders before maintenance is required.

My nickel's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: