Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nikasil engine life expectancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbunch4468

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Nikasil engine life expectancy Reply with quote

At this point, I know my E32 has a Nikasil block. The car has about 82,000 miles on it, and so far everything seems fine. I have had the car only for the last 22,000 miles.

Is the BMW problem with the Nikasil block so pervasive that all of these cars suffer premature death? If so, what is the life expectancy of the Nikasil block versus the Alusil block? Obviously, this is partly maintenance related...so let's assume that all the proper maintenance intervals are being followed (they are).

Does anyone out there have any Nikasil success stories to share? How many miles have you logged on a Nikasil block? I am looking for reasons NOT to trade my beloved E32 right now. On the other hand...If I am headed into an engine swap in the next 20,000 miles, then maybe I ought to shop around now.

Thanks...
mwong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Nikasil engine life expectancy Reply with quote

I have heard of plenty of E32 and E38s with the Nikasil engines going well over 150K miles without any problems. But it is a gamble.

By chance, have you read: http://www.530i.org./530i-Test.htm#

Part of it says:
A lot of cars fail at high miles, but w/out any sort of documented status at earlier points, it isn't easy to tell when the damage occurred. BMW isn't sharing any statistics, unfortunately, and the "wisdom" shared by BMW techs is hard to trust, given the range of information and understanding they seem to have (and not have) about this issue.

Bottom line - having a high-mileage Nikasil engine that is in good shape doesn't tell you if it will or won't fail in the future. All you know is that it hasn't failed yet. However, it does seem intuitively likely that if an engine has lasted to 70K, 80K, or 90K miles that the block has been in the right environment (low sulfur gas) or had the right "birth" (good production run) and should stay solid in the future. But we just don't know for sure. We do know these cars can go "forever" on nikasil w/out problems.

Good luck in your decision!
rbunch4468

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Nikasil engine life expectancy Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark...

After your post, I went to the recommended URL. Great reading for all M60 owners!

I think what I'll do is schedule the leak down test with my local dealer, and go from there...

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
edjack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Nikasil engine life expectancy Reply with quote

You may want to check in with Brett Anderson, at http://www.koalamotorsport.com/. He is a professional BMW wrench, and has a pay-for-answers service.

He also has a writeup on his site that describes the nikasil- versus alusil-treated block and high sulfur fuel problem on the M60 V8.
MBennett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Nikasil engine life expectancy Reply with quote

My E32 740i just turned 171,000 with the original Nik under the hood. So far so good. Still runs strong. Even some early engine swaps used new Nik engines, till later, when Alum became available. BMW offered 6yr/100000 mile warranties on those Nik swaps. So just because an early 4.0 was swaped, you need to check and see if a Nik or an Al was put in.
Just my .02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: