Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puchasing a '85 735i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgore

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Puchasing a '85 735i Reply with quote

I am comtemplating purchasing a 1985 735i from a private owner. The car has 170K miles on the engine. The interior looks pretty good. I have been told that the alt., starter, radiator, water pump and front rotors/brakes were replaced. The exterior is in pretty good shape, I noitced a two small rust spots near the trunk and rear bumper. Seller is asking 3500.00. Any suggestions regarding this year, model and asking price would be greatly appreicated.
edjack

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Puchasing a '85 735i Reply with quote

Here's a benchmark: I sold my (great old!) '79 528i for $3200, in March 2001. It had 220K on it, and ran like a Swiss watch.

Spend $100 at an independent BMW shop, and have the car checked out. If it passes, I'd say it was a reasonable deal.

The auto trans may need a rebuild with all those miles on it.

If it has rust, it may be a Rust Belt car. Check the chassis thoroughly for integrity.

Would you expect rust on a Georgia car?
cgore

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Puchasing a '85 735i Reply with quote

I am very happy with the 79 528i. I finally drove the the 735i yesterday and I was somewhat impressed...the car ran very good. There were a few warning lights displayed such as the coolant, washer fluid and brake lining. I was told that the brakes and front rotors were replaced, but they were not sure why the brake lining light was illuminated. I read a letter the owner sent to Sears regarding the tranny. Apparently Sears was at fault for burning out the tranny while trying to diagnose a problem with the alternator. The reader's digest version is the tranny has been replaced already by an idependent BMW shop. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a rust belt car? I checked the chassis thoroughly for integrity and found a few rust spots around the trunk.
edjack

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Puchasing a '85 735i Reply with quote

The Rust Belt is the Upper Midwest, and the Great Lakes Region, but it extends to all areas that get snow, and where they use salt on the roads for snow and ice. The salt eats the car up, in spite of manufacturers' effort to rustproof the cars.

Cars that live near the ocean, in any part of the world, also suffer this malady. Don't know if the Deep South has this problem, from all the rain. Here in California, cars DO NOT rust, unless they live near the ocean! The undercarriage of my beloved E12 was pristine when I sold it.

The 735 will feel like a big car, compared to the 528, because it is. It may also need shocks, and some front end work, to restore that BMW razor-sharp steering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: