Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:23 am    Post subject: power steering Reply with quote

i just bought a '91 525i e34 and the steering makes a rubbing/deep whining sound when the wheel is turned, either when it is still or when it is in motion, is it the power steering pump? please assist, thanks.

D
jpritter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:25 pm    Post subject: power steering Reply with quote

I had a 95 325i that was giving me the same problems from time to time. I had the problem looked at by the dealer while it was still under warranty and they could not find anything wrong with it. I changed the fluid in the reservoir and it really helped.

There are quite a few posts on the E36 forum about synthetic fluid solving similar problems, if it is not something of greater concern (like the pump).
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: power steering Reply with quote

It may be that the fluid has never been changed. If it's orange or brown, rather than pink, change it. It may cure the noise problem, but, if the steering works OK, it's probably nothing to worry about. Does the pump leak?

There is also a bronze filter in the reservoir. Change that at the same time. It's in the bottom of the reservoir, covered by a thick metal screen, and is easy to get at if you suck out the old fluid with a baster.

I have had good luck by disconnecting the return line, letting the engine idle, and catching the old fluid in a can or pan, while adding fresh, until the fluid comes out clean, then shutting off the engine, reattaching the line, and topping up the reservoir. This way, you'll get a complete change.
BigD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:52 am    Post subject: power steering Reply with quote

thanks guys, i just got my first bimmer and i know it's not perfect, but i'm trying to do all i can to keep it for a very long time. i'll change the fluid this weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by BigD:
i just bought a '91 525i e34 and the steering makes a rubbing/deep whining sound when the wheel is turned, either when it is still or when it is in motion, is it the power steering pump? please assist, thanks.

D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: