Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factory Stereo Sucks....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garycono

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Factory Stereo Sucks.... Reply with quote

The factory stereo ( not Harmon Kardon)in my
2001 3251 really sucks...especially in the am mode. Reception is very noisy and in some cases non-existent. Are any of you having problems and what, if anything, can be done. I have the steering wheel controls so going to an aftermarket stereo is probably out.

edjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Factory Stereo Sucks.... Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my E39, with DSP sound system: AM reception is poor with weak stations. My favorite news station fades out when in an underpass.

FM sounds as though there is a curtain between me and the tweeter. I'm going to try some new door tweeters one of these days.

Tape and CD sound is acceptable, but not great.

There is one thing I've noted: most better-quality aftermarket car radios have a loudness circuit. It boosts bass and treble at low volume settings. The fancy OEM radio in my car does not have this circuit. I've noted that, when you crank up the volume, it sounds pretty good, but still not great.

On the other hand, FM reception is great, especially in the Bay Area, with all the mountains. Lots of sensitivity and selectivity.

OEM radios are, and always have been, a compromise for cost reasons. Too bad this system is not stand-alone, but is integrated into the OBC and the steering wheel. You could fit an aftermarket system, but it would be messy at best, and costly at very least. You'd also lose some features, such as the OBC.

Check the E39 forum on this board for more info on sound systems. There is a very detailed writeup on system upgrades. I've read that the "head unit" is not all that bad, and an aftermarket amp improves things a lot.
W604275

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Factory Stereo Sucks.... Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more! A £20/30k+ car with what sounds like a £50 stereo - very poor for a vehicle of this class... My wife's Toyota Avensis cost half that but the stock Sony CD and speakers sound great. Still, I guess if this is my biggest critism of the car...

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Pompy Jon ]
garycono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Factory Stereo Sucks.... Reply with quote

As an update of sorts: I contacted BMW via the BMWUSA website and complained about the lousy am reception. I have received a reply stating that they have had other complaints, are aware of the problem, and are working on the situation for a fix. It remains to be seen what the "fix" ,if any, will be but at least they answer they emails.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: