Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gas tank removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luv_my_318

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: gas tank removal Reply with quote

okay, so my gas tank is full of this stuff thats grimy and rusty colored. how do i take off the tank? no wonder both of my fuel pumps blew out, they were stuffed with this hard grime from the tank. so i sucked out half the gas now i want to take off this tank and clean it. what do i clean it with? also the secondary tank is full of water so i have to take that out also. how?
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced my fuel tank as my old one had started to leak.

To put it bluntly, its a nightmare of a job.
You will need to remove the rear exhaust pipe, heat shields, and the prop shaft. Then unbolt the tank.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never heard of anyone (other than smithy) replacing it (Daleremoved one and installed a racing fuel cell-nice).

but would you want to chance in cleaning it, or just replace it w/a warrantied one ?

if it IS rust, it will only get worse.
w/a new tank, you can rest easy

Last edited by idanity on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluefury

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drop a gas tank and replace it too, not fun. Drop the catback (buy new gaskets), empty the tank, remove heatshields, drop driveshaft (replace guibo or get the driveshaft rebuilt if its vibrating, might as well), remove filler neck hose and other fuel line hoses, then support the tank on a jack while you loosen the bolts taht hold it up (6 or 8 I think, wear googles lots of dust and dirt). I paid about a $100 or so for a good used tank from Zionsville Auto.

Eric
04 GTO
02 Impala LS Sport
91 750iL
86 325e -- SOLD
85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion... it's alive and DAMN is it quick!! Coming soon.. Euro Bumpers!
85-325e

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my gas tank. I sloshed it with aircraft stuff, but in retrospect, I wish I had just replaced it. At that time, about 2 years ago, the replacement tank with shipping was about $140 total. Now it's doubled.

For what it's worth... the While I Was In There turned out to be:

New stainless steel brake lines
new sub-frame bushings
new trailing arm bushings
new rear shock mounts
new used replacement springs and spring pads,both upper and lower
several differentials
new rubber filler thingy
new gas lines
new sway bar links and sway bar bushings...
and a few other parts I just can't remember!

Whitdog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my tank a few months ago. Pain in the butt since you have to drop the driveshaft and exhaust. I found a new tank on eBay for $199. It is about $350 at Bavauto. I have not had any problems with it. Of course, I cannot remember the name of the place. I recommend that you get a friend to help (tank is light, but bulky), safety glasses and new gas line from the tank to the external pump since you cannot reach the top of the tank once it is installed. (I have an 84 325e) If it is your first time, plan on four hours to get it done. Be careful taking out the sending unit and internal pump. You have to take them apart before they will come out of your old tank. There are three or four small bolts on top to the tank that hold the unit. Undo those and pull the sending unit straight up and it will come out.

Also, be careful with the S tube in the bottom of the tank that connects both halfs. I twisted mine getting if of the old tank and had to get one of a pull-a-part car.

Good Luck

Whitdog

84 325e
76 Fiat 124
02 F150 4x4
04 Accord
bluefury

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, use new orings for the sender and pump too.

Eric
04 GTO
02 Impala LS Sport
91 750iL
86 325e -- SOLD
85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion... it's alive and DAMN is it quick!! Coming soon.. Euro Bumpers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: