Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel smell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:45 am    Post subject: Fuel smell Reply with quote

316i 1989 ish
For some time i have been getting fuel smells from my car.

I have checked all hoses i can find including hoses to the small tamk behind the rear quarter. But still a smell!!

The fuel tank finally vents out to the atmosphere by the fuel filter in the engine bay

What have i missed !!

Nigel B
Jack4380

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:23 pm    Post subject: Fuel smell Reply with quote

I had a similar problem which turned out to be the charcoal canister was screwed up so instead of functioning properly it was releasing the fumes which resulted in a fuel smell in the car. Replaced that butI then got the same problem a while later and discovered that the fuel filler hose had a leak in it so if I filled the tank up it would leak the fumes would enter the car. Check for signs of spillage under the wheel well (mine was obvious).

Jack

87 325e
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 10:45 pm    Post subject: Fuel smell Reply with quote

Cheers that gives me me an idea.

Next queation would have to be :

My 316I does not have a cat and therfore it does not have a charcoal canister or egr valve (the correct wiring is in place.

If i fit a cannister would this stop my problem???

Nigel
BigJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:33 am    Post subject: Fuel smell Reply with quote

I have the same problem! (316 is an unlucky number!) Can't seem to find any leaks, but if I accelerate hard when the car is cold, the smell gets worse, at other times the smell is very faint and nobody notices it, but me.
Any ideas would be nice for me too!

propus
87 316
Jack4380

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:02 pm    Post subject: Fuel smell Reply with quote

Nigel,

Good question, unfortunately I couldn't tell you whether or not it would solve the problem or not. I just know the canister system does remove fuel vapours if installed and working correctly. To narrow it down - when you get the fuel smell have you stopped the car and taken a whiff under the hood? Then at least you can be sure it is coming from that area. The manual I have says if it is a canister problem, the smell will originate under the hood.

Jack

87 325e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: