Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wacky fuel gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolaiv99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:50 pm    Post subject: wacky fuel gauge Reply with quote

i have an 88 325 and my fuel gauge sometimes reads full when my tank isn't. it jumps from accurate levels to full levels. i don't know what's causing this does anyone know???????? thanks christian
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 12:26 pm    Post subject: wacky fuel gauge Reply with quote

My guess would be a loose connection. I think the sender access can be found under the back seat. Check for good connections there and at the ground point. If it is only the fuel guage acting strainge itis probably not the instrument panel ground, but isolated to the fuel level wiring. coul also be a bad sender unit.

Ken Juul
87325ic
John Maddox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:07 pm    Post subject: wacky fuel gauge Reply with quote

I've known bad Service Indicator Batteries cause this.
BigJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 5:36 am    Post subject: wacky fuel gauge Reply with quote

I had the same problem, I would have an empty tank and the gauge would read full, yet the red light would still work.
I have white dials in my display and so thought it would be something to do with the fact that the display consle had been taken apart.
I turned out to be that the 7 or so screws that hold the thins together at the back had not been tightened properly ( I think some of the screws could be used to earth some of the connections??)
Try tightening the screws and if that doesn't help then re-solder the connections on the board since these were bad for cracking as the board expanded and contracted with temperature changes.

BigJ
87 316
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: