Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

87 BMW 325ic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reinell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 11:08 am    Post subject: 87 BMW 325ic Reply with quote

I have a question for someone. I have had a fumey smell in my car as of lately and I can't figure out what it may be. I have had the exhaust system replace from the catylatic
converter back and have no leaks, according to the guys that replace the muffler for me,
in the exhaust system. There is a oily film on the inside of my windows and if I have the windows up, (and don't laugh) I get a little light headed and at times my bottom lip gets a little numb, also my toes. I can pretty much figure out this is probrably not good, but I am at a lost of what it may be. Any ideas.

Signed
Dazed and Confused and a little numb,
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 9:21 am    Post subject: 87 BMW 325ic Reply with quote

Can you be any more specific on the smell? Normally the first sign of a leak in the exhaust system is the increased noise. If your sure the exhaust system is good, from the engine all the way to the end of the pipe, then it must be something else. Oil leak in engine compartment that the heater fan is blowing into the car. Cracked heater housing allowing engine compartment fumes to enter. You say that an oily film develops on the windows. That would lead me more toward an engine/transmission leak that is being sucked into the car.
sbcncsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 7:33 am    Post subject: 87 BMW 325ic Reply with quote

Fumey huh. Have you tried to operate the defroster lately? Try it and if the film on the windows gets worse and actually fog up, you have a bad heater core. Also, is the smell kind of sweet like antifreeze? This is a common problem on all cars, not just BMW's. I have a bad heater core in my 318i and I have a film on the inside of the windows, oily too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: