Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1991 318iC smog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: 1991 318iC smog Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've been on this forum for the simple reason that my trusty little 318ic has been running without complaint and now has about 240,000 miles. For the first time ever, it failed the California smog test this year. Passed with its usual flying colors at 25mph but failed at 15mph. High NOX, like 3 times higher than the 25mph reading. Usual prep for the smog test- new plugs, oil change, clean and oil the K&N, and this year, a new O2 sensor. I've never just thrown parts at the car but no one seems to be able to tell me what is causing this. Bad Cat, rings valves, vacuum leak, ???

Now, being in someone of a time crunch, I purchased a 'Direct Fit" Bosch O2 sensor at the local Pep Boys, number 13231. FCP lists the correct O2 sensor as Bosch 13109. Could this be causing the problem?

The cat is generating heat, a lot more coming out than going in, doesn't smell, so it appears to still be working. I'm not against replacing the cat if that is the issue.

Any ideas from my M42 friends out there?

Thanks

Steve

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
greenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tipis out there, guys. I put in a new Cat and it passed with flying colors. I guess after 240,000 something miles, maybe it was getting a little tired…
idanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what it's worth, used Cats are worth $200.00+
the old cats our cars have posses a lot more precious metals than the new ones do.

also, it's likely the last year your car needs a smog test... right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: