Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power window motor repair/replace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWilliamT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Power window motor repair/replace Reply with quote

I have, I think, a dead power window motor. I get 12 v at the connector to the motor. No hum or other noise from the motor when the circuit is activated.

Anyone know if it is likely the motor may just need some cleaning/repair? Or if it's even possible.
Or, where a replacement motor could be found?
I've been looking a while, but just getting "out of stock" messages.

I may have to convert to manual.

Any suggestions for further trouble shooting would be appreciated. I'm getting pressure to get this one solved. It's the passenger side window.

dale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When power windows don't work, normally I debug them in this order:
a) power window switch
b) clean pin connections in door jamb connection
c) give the inner door panel a good open hand whack near where the motor is

The switches are usually available from the online sellers like Pelican Parts.
To get a motor at this point, you may want to take the whole window assembly out of the door, take the motor apart, clean and grease it and reassemble.
Next is to buy a used assembly. Be sure to buy from the same car, 2dr vs 4dr, drivers side vs passenger side, and same year car as they change based on the year.
If the mechanism is OK, just the motor bad or stuck, all the motors in a 4 door car should be the same, so you could swap one from rear to front for example if you just want to get the drivers door working quickly.

Otherwise, you can find a motor from a car the same year as yours from a salvage yard or from someone on craigslist.
Check the parts numbers to see what year ranges will work in your car. The motors themselves only have 2 varieties, I think, but believe the window assembly has more varieties.

Hope this helps.
Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
GWilliamT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I removed the motor and regulator. Couldn't find what I thought was a safe way to pull the armature etc from the motor casing. Used motor cleaner sprayed liberally into the motor which freed it up. Applied power from a 12 v supply and it worked. Intalled, still worked but then began having problems again, quickly getting so hot I couldn't touch it.

So, I'm looking for another motor. Cardone rebuilds but none seem to be available. Probably will buy a used one. Seem to still be a few around.

The whole power set up seems to require high torque, seem to me. I cleaned and relubed the regulator as well as I could. But it still feels inefficient to me. May take another crack at that if a different motor doesn't greatly increase the function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: