Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cylinder Head Gasket thickness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurt_92_318i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Cylinder Head Gasket thickness Reply with quote

Hi,

My 318i is at 370K miles and I need to remove the cylinder head for some valve work.

I rebuilt the engine 10 years ago (at 152K but it was not cared for previously) and had to plane the top of the block by 0.010" or .3mm. I used a 0.010 larger head gasket at the time but they are harder to find now and much more expensive.

My question is if it is really that important? I have the alignment tools to correctly time the camshafts once all is in place and installing a new timing chain so breakage is not likely any time soon. The valves will open into the cylinder area regardless of the gasket thickness.

What do you think? Is the difference important?

Thanks,

Kurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: