Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

92 cabrio power top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: 92 cabrio power top Reply with quote

I have a 92 cabrio with powertop that currently does not work. The top is currently up and I want to put it down. I know there are two release mechanisms in the trunk. My question is, does one of those release mechanisms unlatch the clamshell? If not, how do I get the clamshell open?
Thanks,

beejay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a boot release in the center. It's helps if you remove the clips and drop the panel in the trunk that covers all the motors and such. It will become clear then once you can see everything. It's tough working blind with that panel in place.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up being the switch on the dash. Ordered a new one from Bavarian Auto, will arrive in a few days. Thank you
viking

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Power top continued trouble Reply with quote

About a month ago.....trouble shooting my power top it was not working. Checked using voltmeter, and there was power going back to the top motors (in trunk), Removed the convertible top switch on dash, cleaned contacts on switch, with switch removed, used paper clip to close the circuit, and the top went up and down several times. As result, Diagnosed that it was the switch and ordered a switch on ebay.

This week: switch arrived
Ebay switch did not work. Cleaned contacts on ebay and old switch and lightly sandpapered them. Used voltmeter on switches, both are good. Rechecked fuses, they are good, (fuse 4, 21, and 25) for the top.

Tried to use paperclip, like before, this time doesn't work, tried it numerous times, did not work, then it worked for about 2 seconds, now clam shell is open 3/4 of the way, wont open the rest of the way.
Looking at e30 electrical manual, going to check the relays?? (p. 6100-3) Removed back seat, and found the blower motor relay, could that be it?

Now I have the clamshell stuck open, and can't get into the trunk? Any ideas??
beejay

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several relays and limit switches along with a control unit. there is a synchronization procedure as well.
You'll need the E30 Service manual and the Electrical manual to trouble shoot.
In the meantime you can disconnect the boot lid with the release lever on the motor so you can get it closed.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
viking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't open the trunk to manually release the top and clamshell. The clam shell is 75% open. The trunk won't open. Is there another way to release to manual. Any ideas?

Thinking about just converting the top to manual and installing a convertible top latch release. I was looking on Pelican parts. They have the latch and cords. Would this be a difficult conversion to do?
beejay

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viking wrote:
I can't open the trunk to manually release the top and clamshell. The clam shell is 75% open. The trunk won't open. Is there another way to release to manual. Any ideas?

Thinking about just converting the top to manual and installing a convertible top latch release. I was looking on Pelican parts. They have the latch and cords. Would this be a difficult conversion to do?

Hmmm, not sure. I would have to look at mine. any way to disconnect the arm from the lid? temporarily to you get the trunk open.
A lot of guy's do the conversion. the electro mechanical tops are a real PITA.
I should have converted when mine when the motor broke, but I ended up fixing everything instead.
only problem with the conversion is getting the boot lid to latch.
I'm not sure how all that works or what you need to convert. I think if you google it you may find a lot of info because many have done it.
What some guys do is hook up a toggle to operate the boot lid only and open/fold the top by hand.
the top motor will fail eventually (if it hasn't already). they all do. this can be repaired but most do the conversion instead.http://www.e30ic.com/powertop.htm

more links to get you started:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=168604
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340763
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1863156-How-to-convert-automatic-convertible-top-to-manual
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: