Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine miss at startup, goes away after restart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
courtneys328i

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: engine miss at startup, goes away after restart Reply with quote

Hello, new here. This is my daughters car, shes had it a year, and its been pretty much trouble free.
Last week in the extreme cold, she started it, it didnt run right, and after moving it she noticed oil coming out of the exhaust.
With some on-line diagnosing, I learned that the CCV had frozen up, and forced the oil out of the engine and out the exhaust. Seems like a common problem with higher mileage and colder temps, also a poor design if you ask me.
Car was towed, and repaired at a local shop.

Since then, Ive been driving it, and at each cold start there is an engine miss. Now here is the strange part, I can drive the car for 5 min, or 30min, the miss continues, but if I pull over and shut the engine, wait about 10 seconds and restart it, the miss goes away. If I shut it and restart it immediately, the miss stays.

Since owning this car I have scan tested it regularly, eng light is always on.

I get p0300, p0301, p0303, p0153 p0740

When she 1st bought the car, the miss was there, I put new plugs in it, it needed it, they where worn. And swapped around a few coils and boots. But no matter what I always get the same 3 missfire codes.

I ran seafoam though the engine and I never felt the miss again till now, even though I always got the same codes.

I dont think this is a spark plug issue, even though these plugs were probably soaked with oil, something is being re-set when I shut the engine, a coil, and injector, the main computer?

Has anyone seen this problem?

I plan on pulling plugs and cleaning them tomorrow morning, maybe swapping a few coils around again, and possibly getting another can of seafoam, but was wondering if anyone has seen this and knows for sure what to do.

I have also noticed since the repair, exhaust only comes out of the left side pipe, the pass side pipe doesnt seem to allow much, if any exhaust out. Never had a reason to look at this before so I dont know if it was always like this. Is this normal?

Thank you,
Dan, Courtneys Dad
97 328I, 175,000 MILES.
175,000 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: