Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high mileage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: high mileage Reply with quote

Any high mileage E-36's out there? Anything unusual or noteworthy?

walshja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Henry. I'm approaching 250k miles.

starting to get rust areas, and the leather is finally showing it's age (my fault, I stopped treating it). My original muffler is finally rotted away, and I replaced my first alternator last summer I think. Gone through a few cooling systems. still have original cat converter, steering rack, transmission, engine. runs great

what's going on with your car?

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: high mileage Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

About 298 k miles. It is showing it's age but it runs pretty well. You may remember it took a pretty bad hit when I fell asleep driving it a couple of years ago. I put it together with some aftermarket sheet metal and it is sort of presentable.

The engine is nosier than it was and it varies with load. I'm thinking that the bearing clearance is getting a bit too much. Clearly the car is not worth an engine rebuild but I am thinking of dropping the pan and Plast-gauging the rod bearings and putting in new inserts. That will have to wait until I replace the timing case gasket in my old Mustang so it can be my daily driver while the e36 is down.

I may finally deep six the OEM radio. I have two of them. Both of them are funky so I work on one as I use the other. Some of the new Pioneers looked presentable for the car a couple of years back so I may end the aggravation with the OEM Alpines which I have been keeping going with NO support from either Alpine or BMW.

Phil

Henry wrote:
Any high mileage E-36's out there? Anything unusual or noteworthy?
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fellas…Am at 268K on the E-36 318. Drove from nyc to santa fe (lazy to capitalize) early September…and will be returning via bmw in about a month. Wanted to fly (less expensive) but need to return to nyc with photo equipment that can't be ground shipped/delicate.

Things are ok. I had a spring on the accelerator pedal break…replaced muffler bushing supports…will finally deal with the clutch pedal (off again) squeak…with those out of market bushings.

The car is pretty much serviced at Santa Fe BMW where they break nothing, give a 20% discount on everything because of "old car"…they compete with local shops and also "like" old bmw's. I still change my oil…dyne oil…and am thinking of going to 30 weight because of cold here. What else…shop here replaced interior material as it was beyond shabby…and it was a bar goon.

The service manager…Andy who also owns an e-30…with I am told a few modifications that are incredible…is spot on with diagnosis and all that. He looked at the undercarriage and said…East Coast. And replaces a bolt here and there when needed. When the guibo was changed the used heat and solvent to save the exhaust…which they did.

Anyway…it gets a nu/finish polish for the paint…I wonder what the clutch has left at 180K…mileage is down a bit … I surmise from cold…

Front driver seat got ratty and the interior guy changed part of the cloth (close enuf match and I use sheepskin) for about 40 bucks.

Have been told the engine is good for lots more. Still change diff, trans and coolant every 2 yrs…use red line and bmw coolant.

Body solid. However, never ever know.
Remains as advertised: Fun to drive.

hope all is well…will be in nyc from mid jan then drive back to lug more to nyc. Want to size down and only be in nyc. You now new mex is paradise of sorts but I miss the diversity and cacophony.

But where to have the vehicle taken care of???

Not many want to deal with an Old BMW. Or I've found independents are experts at car coitus or rear ending the customer.

Later fellas
any comments always welcome and suggestions too
perhaps nyc metro guys should meet one weekend afternoon

Merry Christmas
kurt_92_318i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at 370K and need to do some cylinder head work. Other than seats and headliner showing wear, its still a great car!
Change the fuel filter on occasion and the fuel pump will last 200K+. A dirty filter builds up back pressure and shortens the life of the pump.
Kurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: