Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

93 325i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pep357

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: 93 325i Reply with quote

My car makes a metal on metal noise when trying to start but won't start I put new spark plugs and new fuel pump it turns over but won't star I even had a backfire can anyone please advise
geminiys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to guess what could be the problem but if you say the engine is turning (means Starter is working) I would start looking to see if Timing Chain is in place. If it is not, most likely the valves are bent. I am assuming it is an Automatic transmission and sits in 'P' while trying to start.
Maybe you can share more information on how the problem occurred?
pep357

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before that happened the starter made a whining sound so I turned the key back then tried again and it started. It was running fine until a couple days later when I tried to start it up it made that metal sound and would not start
geminiys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand the problem. Your starter solenoid is no longer functional. Replace the starter, as solenoid cannot be purchased separately. To replace the starter on I-6 engine you will need to remove the Air Intake Manifold to gain access. Good Luck.
pep357

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I replaced the the starter that took care of the metal noise and the car turns over and feels like it wants to start but it won't start and there is some backfire when it's trying to start I pulled one code 1A book says its the control unit supply please advise and thank you for your comments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: