Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

miller performance chips anyone ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
idanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: miller performance chips anyone ? Reply with quote

anyone use a miller chip ?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
85-325e

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You giving it away Dan? If so, I'd love to take it and try it...

If you're selling it, I can't afford it right now lol...

Or, are you wanting to use it in your car??? Sorry, my mind saw "can" anyone use a Miller chip? when I first read it!

Sounds interesting for sure, though I'm not sure it'll work with the "e" engine... spent some time on the site and it sure could solve a bunch of issues for me if it works. Gas here has become RIDICULOUS. Yes, they say it's going down and may be the lowest it's been since 2008... so what? Here, they're charging $4.79/gal for premium... even if it goes down 20 cent's, it's still over $4.50/gal!

I'm SO tempted to remove the chip I have and put the original chip in so I can use regular gas, though I'm not sure how good that would be for the car since they always called for Premium anyway...

idanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, its a thread on anyone here who may have any knowledge on it.

i am currently setting it up, have it tuned for a few difference scenarios, but not installed it yet due to the harness is already hacked, and i want to do my best research prior to cutting into it more.

gas is a bit crazy, but this chip is more for just tuning the car to be as efficient as possible..its more for getting the most out of an m20 engine... and i do like the m20 enough to be (currently) saving up for a metric mechanics head.. maybe even an entire engine but we'll see...

and if you ever want to visit seattle, you can drive it, and see if its worth the investment.

one thing i gotta say is that they have certainly done their homework with it... just knowing i don't have to use the MAF and i get all that engine bay back is giving me a smile.
idanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my post in millers forum....(for reference)
my car is and has been built fairly well, and does run, by someone, at sometime was great i guess, but i don't have any clue on who they were, or what they did...all i have is the car, and im trying to reverse engineer what they did.

afaik, they had a similar device like the war chip (if not an earlier version) and kept it when they sold the car.
the car came with evidence of a 3" tb, and a different intake, as it wouldn't even idle, and they just left a stock intake MAF just hanging in the engine bay...clearly there was another setup prior to my getting it...but anyways.

...onto the reason for the post.

reading page 9 in the directions, i found my car already has a few alterations to its wiring harness...

there are a few wires already cut, and a few "Tees" into the red wire...
the cut wires are not too much of an issue b/c the car has a lot deleted (A/C, PS, cc, ww, etc...and its also a 84 323i euro with a motronic harness (that works)...so...again, im not surprised its hacked a bit.

a few quesitons...about the "T" i will be making.
what does this tee wire connection do ?
and
should i re-wire up (or get a new) wire harness for this ?
or.
can i test out the psik + war chip by simply leaving the harness ? (after learning what wire is necessary. and routing them)

note: i think i need a new harness (which i am willing to do if necessary) but wonder, if anyone has any further input before i rip it all out and start from scratch.

here is how it was when i bought it (notice about 3-5 wires sticking out of the taped up loom a few inches from the ECU they look freshly cut.

btw...clicking on a pic should open it in another tab and be able to be much larger as you click it there as well.

here is the wires im dealing with from my own harness

and yes,[move] the rust will be dealt with in a few months when the cage goes in[/move]
idanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the engine fires right up, and runs.

i did map out the correct wiring, and fixed a few more things along the way...

currently just cleaning, and prepping the original intake manifold with new 19lb bosch injectors, and trying to find where to learn about remapping, and tuning the chip.

miller sure doesn't make it easy, or clear, or even put together a quality user manual....
at one point in their manual, i had to email them, and then call them to ask which direction a tie in wire goes... does it tie into the harness by the ecu, or into the harness going into the engine bay... they just have a super close up of a wire soldered onto another one w/out any actual real-world explanations...

owell.
they do make a good chip.
and their stuff does seem high quality...
and they do actually answer their phones sometimes, so im not complaining... as they must be a very small company that does a very particularly cool thing for the m20's
robert1700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the m runs and looks better than my car. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: