Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Light (tail light) Wont Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Rear Light (tail light) Wont Light Reply with quote

My left rear light (tail light) went out. This is the small bulb. I tried everything I can think of and I can't get the bulb to light. I replaced the bulb, swapped the bulb with the known working one, got continuity from the pin to the bulb socket within the chassis, and connected my multimeter and got 12V from the bulb socket to a screw above it, with the chassis connector connected, with the lights on.

Anyone else have any other ideas ? Even though I'm getting 12V does the computer (ECE or whatever it's called) have anything to do with this ? The reason I ask is I suspect something going on with it anyway because my Check Engine light stayed on after I had my 0/2 sensor replaced a couple of months ago.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
85-325e

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bulb you're using a silver based bulb, or a brass based bulb? You need the silver based bulbs. I doubt the ECU has anything to do with this... check the socket to make sure there's no corrosion.

Camina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is silver. There is no corrosion since the socket is made of plastic. I can't figure this out. I tried new bulbs and even inserted the working one from the right side. I buzzed out the 12V and ground. Everything looks correct. What am I missing ?
85-325e

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not great with elecrical stuff.

Are all the connectors for the lamp cluster clean? Check the wires going TO the connector, making sure none's rusted, corroded or broken.

See if you can get a replacement cluster from a junk yard arund you up there in Boston... I'm sure there are a few. See if the replacement works.

Maybe your ground isn't attached? Send me your email address via private message and I'll send you the electrical diagrams and trouble shooting guide for an '87...

Camina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it. It's a little strange but I fixed it.

After trying just about everything I went on a hunch and checked to see if there is a fuse for just the left side tail light. Sure enough fuse #22 controls the left tail light. However, it also controls the left front directional light (which was working) and position light (whatever that is). Well, wait a second. I'm thinking if it's the fuse then all 3 lights wouldn't be working.

So, I took a shot and replaced the fuse anyway and the tail light finally came on. I looked at the suspected bad fuse and it looked OK to me. So, I inserted it back in and the tail light still worked. So, the only explanation I can think of is there was probably some corrosion in the fuse connection that cleared up when I removed and replaced the fuse. This corrosion was probably just enough to cause resistance issues with that particular bulb and not the others. I know the rear cluster bulbs are very sensitive.
85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere is NOTHING like finding a simple, inexpensive fix, no matter how long you have to look for it!

Congrats... it's a wonderful feeling.. I know.

I'm going to do my front wheel bearings next Monday or Tuesday. The car needs them BADLY, and I'll be so happy after that job is done and the car is quiet again!

Good for you!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: