Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muffler - how does it attach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt325ic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Muffler - how does it attach? Reply with quote

In the past year or so, my '88 has been through two of the little rubber exhaust hangers that supports the rear half of the exhaust system. I think the muffler is also supposed to be supported with its two hangers, but it is not. My car doesn't appear to have anything to attach them to.

Does anyone have a picture of how the muffler is supposed to be supported?

Thanks in advance,
Dane
'88 325i Convertible
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane... I don't have an "i" car and I know the muffler system is different on "i" cars than on "e" cars. My muffler only has two hangers. THere's one that anchors the end of the cat , before it attaches to the resonator, to the bracket attached to the tranny, and another, which wraps around the actual muffler and that's attached with the rubber hanger. As far as I know, there are no other hangers for my muffler.

If your hangers are tearing, I would think there's a lot of vibration, in effect, sawing off the rubber hangers. I can, in fact, move my bracket, which wraps around the muffler, backwards and forwars a bit to center it under the metal hanger part attached to the car.

I'm hoping someone with an "i" car will chime in here...

dt325ic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess a better summary of my problem is this...Does the strap with two rubber donuts on the muffler attach somewhere to the body?

Presently, the only thing holding up my exhaust is the rubber hanger located between the catalytic converter and muffler, which is the piece that keeps breaking. I know the strap and donuts on the muffler should attach somewhere, but I'm either blind or the pieces have sheared off the body.

I don't see very many of the cars around anymore to inspect and see for myself...
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane... There should be a set of large clamps around the entire muffler, and they have hangers that, with the rubber rings, hang from a bracket or brackets attached to the underside of the car.

Go to RealOEM.com, pump in your vin, go to the graphic search and choose the muffler section.. you'll see exactly what I'm speaking about...

dale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muffler is supported by 3 spots, under the rear subframe, right behind the fuel tank, then by 2 rubber donuts going from the 2 clamps around the muffler.

sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
beejay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your brackets may have broken off the frame #9
Both of mine did and I lost the donuts as well.
Either have them re welded on or you can drill and tap and bolt them on

I took 2 muffler straps #5, cut off the brackets, drilled and bolted them to the frame. Been holding ever since.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
ghandi5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar problem with catalytic converter & muffler vibration. Hoping someone can help me with diagnosis. I get a vibration at 2600 RPM that I feel near the front seats. I had the catalytic converter replaced with an aftermarket and my mechanic said he had to rig up the brackets because the aftermarket cat was slightly larger than OEM. anyone else have to deal with this and what was your solution - I'll get under car soon to diagnose on my own, but looking for any lessons learned from the Experts.
Thanks
1987 325ci

1987 325ic (Little Red)
1997 540i (Steed)
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghandi...

First thing I'd check is your motor mounts.

If the engine is shaking at that speed, your muffler system will vibrate as well. Just an initial guess, but check to see if they're pancaked or worn or torn.

ghandi5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cosmo - will check out this weekend.

1987 325ic (Little Red)
1997 540i (Steed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: