Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp gauge and power window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesnau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Temp gauge and power window Reply with quote

UBBers,

It seems there are not so many readers of the e30 forum these days. I guess these cars are so old that many are in grave yards. Anyway, I hope a few of you still monitor this board.

First, I solved the jumpy temp gauge problem. This YouTube video is exactly what my gauge was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ynPdWBY8MA

Problem: Weak ground for the gauge. Fix: Rather than trying to repair the printed circuit board, I ran a wire from the screw post of the temp gauge to the screw post of the fuel gauge, which is still functioning properly. The temp gauge is now steady and reads where it should, at about 11 o'clock. When the ground for the fuel gauge fails, I will just run wires from the screw posts of the gauges to the main ground behind the steering column.

Here is the real reason for this post:

The passenger side front power window motor has failed. Unfortunately, this motor (51-33-1-386-988) is no longer available...not even any in Germany. Remans are not good, imho, they just don't last. So, here is my crazy idea:

The left hand motor is available, part number 51-33-1-386-987. Can I remove the motor from this new left hand assembly and install it on the old right hand transmission? I think this will work...a motor is a motor, isn't it? I realize that I may (will?) have to reverse the connection, so that the motor goes in the correct direction when the switch is pushed.

So, what do you think about this crazy window idea? I think it will work.

Jim Nau
'85 325e, born October 1984, 220K, original owner
Everything works...power locks, A/C, interior light delay
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a clue, but it sounds crazy enough to work Jim!

tncean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered having the motor rebuilt? I've often heard common problem with windows are switches and the motor/hardware needing to be cleaned.

Have you checked or ruled out the switch? You might look for an automotive electric, as in alternator, starter rebuild shop in your area.

Good luck... t
jamesnau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tncean and 85-325e.

My plan worked great. I ordered a new left hand motor/tranny assembly ($130) which arrived yesterday. I removed the motor, installed it on the old right hand tranny, and it fit perfectly as expected. Attached the assembly to the right hand regulator, reinstalled in the door, made a pigtail with the original plug on one end (car wiring), and female quick connects on the other (motor connection). Installed the pigtail, pushed the down switch, and watched the window close. Switched the motor connections....motor and regulator work great.

So, for anyone out there needing a new right hand motor/tranny assembly for an old e30, don't waste your money on the very few assemblies still available. I found two on ebay, but they were over $230. Just buy a new left hand assembly, remove the motor, and install it on your old right hand tranny.

Jim
'85 325e, born October 1984, original owner
220K and all systems are go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: