Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service in nyc area…nj, conn included

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Service in nyc area…nj, conn included Reply with quote

Looking for reliable independent or responsible dealer in nyc, nj or conn area.
Based upon your experiences whom can you recommend?

walshja

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, how far into CT will you go?

I just found an independent who knows his stuff, and is a great guy.

He is in Branford, CT

Let me know if you are interested

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe…Went on line and found "Bimmer Clinic" in Avenel NJ. No one complained about them. (Who knows…perhaps they were all cousins Smile )
However, the maintenance needed was completed at a reasonable price, using good parts and so far no damage done.

Most work on the car was done in Santa Fe, at the dealer. He offers a generous discount, fair prices, always accurate diagnosis…spot on…and a comfortable place to work or a shuttle home.

Went to an independent in Santa Fe, one time. The job was a simple maintenance…Upon inspection I was presented with a list of about 1/2 dozed items requiring attention. When I returned to the dealer I asked a few oblique questions concerning the list. Long story short: Each item on the list did have a weak point. However, it took about 5 years of observation till the final item was addressed.

This is one of the things I don't like about independents. They seem to always look for more and more. However,some can say same for dealer…though I can't.

If I return East on a more permanent basis then I'll look around for a decent shop. Trust is important and for now I have more of that for a dealer than an independent.

As an aside…there was an independent in nyc area who had a knack for busting up someones car and creating a bill of excessive amount.

Thanks… Oh…I do need s number of bushings replaced..and mounts too…such as tranmission etc.. After 21 years rubber does seem to have a life and wants to retire. Has anyone else found this?
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, that's what I'm looking at as well, replacing a lot of rubber parts. The car is starting to feel sloppy, and I know I need a lot of bushings. Last time I look there was a lot of play, everywhere.

My original muffler is finally starting to go. I got 240k miles out of it !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mufler! The left and right rear mounts are totaled on baby. Of course 259K is just about a break in on this. As for the rubber…I see where it's beginning to develop cracks and the transmission mounts are compressed. So…it's off to the bidding wars. Some can do this via Bentley. However, am I so brave to simply support the transmission with a jack while removing the crossmember and replacing the bushes? Uh uh…no no no.

Next is probably going to be hoses…and finally or when I see the drop on the floor (shhhhhhh) timing case cover gasket and a possible seal on oil filter housing…where it mates (ohhhhhhh) with motor.

Well, truth be told I was in for it between 125k and 150k. Kinda knew I'd be in for the bizness between 250k and ???k,

Know anyone with loose Franklins laying on some floor needing a sweep?
At any rate…I can't bear the thought of an idiot light for a dip stick. And a dip stick for an owner. So…I think it's time for my idiot lights to go on. In the long haul this is for the best.

rice and beans and sacrifice.

PS…if you choose not to do this yourself…and need another bid and I'm serious…try a dealer…yes, a bmw dealer. Seems they discount about 20% off jobs on senior citizen vehicles. Want to bring in the $ and take away from independents. (whom I don't particularly care for because they are always looking for immediate and additional work that can be delayed years and I'm serious) So bid bid bid. Or I'l do a piece at a time. Kind of like what a new car payment might look like.

Intend to use OEM rubber. Not looking for a Sunday at Lime Rock.
walshja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use the dealer for my wifes car. I hate working on her car, 1999 528iT. I'll do the basic stuff: brakes, suspension, cooling system. Anything else it's off to the dealer. The reason I go to the dealer is they give her a new X5 as a loaner, for free. She is happy, meaning I'm happy. Well, she's happy until the 528iT if fixed.

I didn't know they offer discounts on older cars, is that true?

rear shock mounts take about 30 minutes each side, go for it !

1994 325iC, 195k miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: